Tip for Steam users

Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!
AngryIVer
Registered

Tip for Steam users

Post by AngryIVer » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:53 am

If you're like me you look up games on your regular web browser and inevitably end up on a steam page. Well, if you put "steam://openurl/" for the URL (include the HTTPS still) it will open it in the steam browser instead of you having to click through to find the same damn page.
Tell your friends about New Totse. Can't get murdered by police on the internet

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Tip for Steam users

Post by Das Troll » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:27 am

Another steam "tip" is the fact that steam doesn't consider the games you bought, games you own. This is proved by losing all access to your games if you uninstall your steam front end. I read an article about a guy who called customer support about it saying he wanted the games and not the steam front end. They wouldn't let him have it, proving that you only own the license, not the game.

On the bright side there are ways to strip game data and get rid of steam.

AngryIVer
Registered

Re: Tip for Steam users

Post by AngryIVer » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:31 am

It took me a second to realize what you were saying. Yeah, it's shitty that you need the Steam client to play games purchased(rented?) from Steam, but you're right, there are ways to strip the data.

That's why there's "Steam Editions" I guess
Tell your friends about New Totse. Can't get murdered by police on the internet