Graphical advancement is weird

Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!
AngryIVer
Registered

Graphical advancement is weird

Post by AngryIVer » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:47 am

Specifically concerning the early 3D era. Look at games like Vice City or San Andreas. Remember when they first came out and the graphics were INCREDIBLE? Now they look like dog shit. Even with an HD texture mod/pack they still have no depth and you're easily able to see that the buildings are just cubes with flat faces.

Now look at, say, GTA V:

The buildings are actually modeled. The windows have actual sills, the trim actually bumps out, et cetera.

It will be weird when in 20 years games shit on graphics of today.
Tell your friends about New Totse. Can't get murdered by police on the internet

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Graphical advancement is weird

Post by Das Troll » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:54 am

I remember back when the sega CD came out everyone thought that cut scenes with real actors and green screens were the top of the shelf. Like how could you get better than real people doing things? Mortal combat was done like that and it looks like shit. I can't imagine what it will look like in the future.

AngryIVer
Registered

Re: Graphical advancement is weird

Post by AngryIVer » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:04 pm

I remember playing Phantasmagoria in the late 90s/early 2000s thinking Sierra had nailed it and that it was just up hill from there for point and click adventure games.

Oh my how the times have changed.
Tell your friends about New Totse. Can't get murdered by police on the internet