"Pure" retro gaming

Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!
Enigma
Site Admin

"Pure" retro gaming

Post by Enigma » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:11 pm

So I used to be extremely big into emulation back as a teenager, but as an adult I find it "hacky" in a way, and prefer gaming on real hardware whenever possible, and have recently started thinking about how I have no vintage PCs to play vintage PC shit on, but at the same time find myself wondering what era of vintage PC I even want for gaming. Do I get an old 486 for DOS gaming and build it up to be a fairly decent for the time rig? Do I build a 3DFX machine? I already have a Pentium 4 for Windows XP era gaming if I really wanted to do that.

I guess a big factor here is a space. I need enough space for these computers :(
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: "Pure" retro gaming

Post by Das Troll » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:54 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:11 pm
So I used to be extremely big into emulation back as a teenager, but as an adult I find it "hacky" in a way, and prefer gaming on real hardware whenever possible, and have recently started thinking about how I have no vintage PCs to play vintage PC shit on, but at the same time find myself wondering what era of vintage PC I even want for gaming. Do I get an old 486 for DOS gaming and build it up to be a fairly decent for the time rig? Do I build a 3DFX machine? I already have a Pentium 4 for Windows XP era gaming if I really wanted to do that.

I guess a big factor here is a space. I need enough space for these computers :(
Space is always a problem. You can go raid thrift stores for old PCs but the thrift stores are starting to get wise to the retro scene. There are devices that will allow you to run that old VGA plug into a box and then run a HDMI to that box and into a HDMI switch and then into your monitor. That would at least save you space on getting a big ass CRT.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: "Pure" retro gaming

Post by Enigma » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:22 am

I just don't get how people like Retro Guy and other streamers who live in apartments do it. I mean, I know literally how they do it, but I couldn't imagine planning out what I want to play, going to storage to get whatever PC I needed, and having to do that several times a year.
:weed: [IP: logged]