Fight sticks for fight games

Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!
Das Troll
Registered

Fight sticks for fight games

Post by Das Troll » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:07 pm

Been watching a lot of SF5 videos since my boy Dan got put in the newest update. I might have to actually start playing again. But my question is, what's a good fight stick that I can use to play with my computer? I'm not a console guy so I want a stick that can be used on my computer. Madcatz used to be shit but it seems like now they're a lot better. Anyone know anything about this sort of thing?

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Fight sticks for fight games

Post by Enigma » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:21 am

Custom make one
:weed: [IP: logged]

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:07 am

if yall live in illinois Videogames Then and Now is really great

but they have random people working there and some never want to sell you anything even if its broken and you simply need one part

such as the plastic for a 3ds to make it a custom color variation
Ту лоцуи ин црима - орас!

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:22 pm

fuckreddit wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:07 am

but they have random people working there and some never want to sell you anything even if its broken and you simply need one part

They're a business that sells things and they don't want to sell you things?
Helladamnleet wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:21 am
Custom make one
I had considered that. Some of the fight sticks are specifically made to be modified to the players exact specifications.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:10 pm

Das Troll wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:22 pm
fuckreddit wrote:

Helladamnleet wrote:
Custom make one
I had considered that. Some of the fight sticks are specifically made to be modified to the players exact specifications.
I think the hardest thing (for me anyway) would be designing one that works well with most of the arcade library, as I'd use it for MAME eventually

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:31 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:10 pm
Das Troll wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:22 pm
fuckreddit wrote:

Helladamnleet wrote:
Custom make one
I think the hardest thing (for me anyway) would be designing one that works well with most of the arcade library, as I'd use it for MAME eventually
I think just a simple lollipop or tear drop joystick with a basic 6 button combination would be good for just about all of them. Maybe have 8 buttons for old MK3 type games.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:11 am

I guess I'm a weirdo, cuz I want 4 sticks and like 12 buttons just so I'm semi-futurproofed.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:54 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:11 am
I guess I'm a weirdo, cuz I want 4 sticks and like 12 buttons just so I'm semi-futurproofed.
Most fighting games these days will do 6 buttons if that. LP MP HP, LK MK HK or light punch medium punch hard punch ect ect. I know old games like MK3 did that except they also had a block button and a run button. I haven't seen that sort of button set up for a while. Some games like Marvel vs Capcom 3 Ultimate use only 3 buttons I think.

If you want to get super weird you can do what fight legend Diago from Japan does and use a Hitbox
hitbox.jpg
hitbox.jpg (23.41 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
I could never use one though. Too weird for me.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:47 pm

Yeah, but there's some that use 8, and you also have to account for 'coin' buttons, player select buttons, et cetera if you're using it for MAME