New Dungeons and Dragons modules suck

Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!
Das Troll
Registered

New Dungeons and Dragons modules suck

Post by Das Troll » Tue May 25, 2021 10:10 pm

I've been playing DnD for many years and there has a been a decline in the quality of modules if you can even call them that. A module for those who don't know, is a pre made adventure that takes most of the work out of being a dungeon master. It supplies characters, stat blocks, maps, and descriptions of rooms. It basically outsources your shitty creativity for someone whos paid to be creative. Since DnD v 3.0 it seems that the modules became more and more rare to find. When you did find one, it offered mostly suggestions of what you should do for the players. I can't quite figure out if this is just lazy WOTC (Wizards of the Coast, current DnD owners) bullshit, or a planned business decision.

Starting off at the newest edition, DnD v 5.0 and the module: The rise of Tiamat
Image8.jpeg
Image8.jpeg (101.96 KiB) Viewed 2103 times
This is apart of a chain of mods you can run your planers through from lvl 1 to lvl 15. It offers almost no maps, no encounters aside from just the barest mention of them, and no loot tables that I've seen. The MSRP on this fucking thing is 30 dollars and I have to do 90% of the leg work to make it a functioning module. That's not the point of modules, they're there to make it easier for the DM, not give him a fucking homework assignment for a week before game time.

Here is a module from the older 3.5 version: The Transmuter's Last Touch.
Image7.jpeg
Image7.jpeg (142.38 KiB) Viewed 2103 times
As you can see even here they had to do a throw back module. This one is for lvls 1 and 2 but it's a good example of a module done right
Image.jpeg
Image.jpeg (151.22 KiB) Viewed 2103 times
It might be a little small since I had to resize it, but you can see stat blocks, descriptions ect ect. This is better, it even has a map.

Das Troll
Registered

Re: New Dungeons and Dragons modules suck

Post by Das Troll » Tue May 25, 2021 10:16 pm

Image5.jpeg
Image5.jpeg (99.05 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Then you go further back to just regular old Dungeons and Dragons or DnD 2E and you have modules like these.
Image4.jpeg
Image4.jpeg (83.07 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Some may call this hand holding, I call it getting what you paid for. Maps, stat blocks, descriptions, loot tables. It's all there for the DM to keep or discard as he wishes.
Image3.jpeg
Image3.jpeg (168.32 KiB) Viewed 2102 times

This "general outline" shit is a blight on table top gaming. It's lazy and it's an insult to people spending 50 dollars for your book. When I get a monster manual for a game, I don't want to refer to a table to get the stat block as a lame excuse to keep it "unique". Ok done ranting now.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue May 25, 2021 10:22 pm

It would be kind of cool to take, like a 32 inch TV and convert it to display huge maps instead in PDF format and stats on screen and shit.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Tue May 25, 2021 11:36 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:22 pm
It would be kind of cool to take, like a 32 inch TV and convert it to display huge maps instead in PDF format and stats on screen and shit.
That's a pretty common set up. Some DnD tables are upwards 10k because of little addons like that. I personally like physical terrain unless its some big overland map.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed May 26, 2021 5:58 am

Figured. I'm pretty sure I've actually seen them before.
:weed: [IP: logged]