Diablo 1 + Hellfire

Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!
Enigma
Site Admin

thumbs up Diablo 1 + Hellfire

Post by Enigma » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:24 am

Since this was the first game my mom got for our Gateway 2000 22 years ago, I figured it would be a nice wave of nostalgia to make it the first game I installed on my retro-rig once it was up and running.

For a game released in 1996, the graphics are actually incredible. You don't eve really notice it's playing at 640x480 resolution because the colors all look so natural, and the soundtrack holds up quite nicely. Load times from CD-ROM are understandably not great, but considering I'm 80% sure this drive is on it's way out, I really can't complain.

One fun little quirk I noticed for the first time: The more of an enemy you kill the easier they are to kill. Like, the first time you encounter a new enemy it will take a few hits to kill them, then by the 5th one you'll start landing consistent blows, and by the 10th one you'll basically by 1-hit-ko'ing them.

I'll probably run through it with each class, including the one that had to be patched back in.
:weed: [IP: logged]

murderman143
Registered

Re: Diablo 1 + Hellfire

Post by murderman143 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:49 pm

Now is me really that trashh?

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:04 am

murderman143 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:49 pm
Now is me really that trashh?
ME was ass if I remember correctly. Lots of blue screens, difficulty in finding drivers, ugly as sin. I skipped right the fuck over it.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:17 pm

Honestly, no. ME is just fine. I couldn't get Windows 98SE to work AT ALL on this computer, so maybe if you have, like, a Pentium III or something, but ME has a lot of nifty shit like native USB Mass Storage support.

I'm thinking about installing KernelEx so I can use more modern web browsers, but over all I have yet to get a bluescreen for something I didn't knowingly fuck up.
:weed: [IP: logged]