Roguelikes

Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!
Das Troll
Registered

Roguelikes

Post by Das Troll » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:00 am

One of my favorite kinds of masochistic games, the Roguelike. These games are often fantasy games where the game is not fair and the player gets only one life. My drug of choice is a game called Dungeon Crawl - Stone Soup. I've been playing this game through the years and updates and I've only ever beaten it once. Start off a game with a bad character? Fuck you. Drink a potion of mutation and grow a hump? Fuck you. Teleport into a room full of underground death yaks? Fuck you. Did I mention you only get one life? The game progressively gets harder and harder until your skill as a player comes heavily into focus. One of, if not the most famous RL is Nethack. In the old days people use to play it in matrix mode, AKA ASCII characters. That's how I started but now I use a tile set. RL's are not heavy on graphics or even moving sprites, it's all imagination and strategy.

If you want a game with a steep learning curve and an infinite amount of replay due to randomly generated dungeons, this game is for you.
Attachments
orc.jpg
orc.jpg (140.92 KiB) Viewed 996 times
matrix mode.jpg
matrix mode.jpg (37.21 KiB) Viewed 996 times

AngryIVer
Registered

Re: Roguelikes

Post by AngryIVer » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:49 pm

I remember playing some shit years ago that this reminds me of. It was basically a text adventure with graphics added on afterwords.
Tell your friends about New Totse. Can't get murdered by police on the internet