Control - Remedy Entertainment

Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!
Kheron
Registered

Control - Remedy Entertainment

Post by Kheron » Mon May 04, 2020 4:24 pm

Okay, so I just finished playing through Control (currently only available on Epic, I think their exclusivity deal ends in August) and I gotta say:

Wow.

It's hard to discuss too much without ruining either plot or just the general vibe/atmosphere of the game (if I use specific examples to back up my claims). It's one of those mind-fuck sort of things where the less you know the better the experience. That in mind, there are very minor spoilers ahead. Nothing in regards to the main game, just two little lore documents you can find that reference real life and their in-game explanations.

In short: You play as Jesse Faden as she enters the Federal Bureau of Control, a clandestine government organization that investigates, researches, and controls all sorts of X-Files-esque stuff. Extra dimensions, objects of power (there's a fan that literally steals oxygen from the room, suffocating you, and the in-game notes on it say that the coverup of it lead to the real life Korean superstition of fan death), and so on.

It's an extremely fun game where you will acquire powers through collecting Objects Of Power (OOP) and feel like a fucking badass as you tear through enemies.

With all sorts of documents to read to learn the lore of the universe (which connects to Alan Wake and the 2nd xpack will be AWE/Alan Wake Experience, tying them together even more) and even references to real life folklore and events such as an attack on a US Embassy that was attributed to a sonic weapon (in game it was, of course, an Altered World Event of some such that was covered up).

I would highly recommend this game. For similar reasons I would also recommend Prey 2017, which is probably my favorite game. It is also an atmospheric mindfuck of a game and if you've put off playing it since it has nothing to do with the original Prey, please give it a try if you enjoy creepy mindfucks that explore what happens when people mess with stuff they shouldn't.

AngryIVer
Registered

Re: Control - Remedy Entertainment

Post by AngryIVer » Mon May 04, 2020 8:11 pm

That sounds dope. FWIW it's on Xbone as well apparently.
Tell your friends about New Totse. Can't get murdered by police on the internet