I'm legit considering buying a vintage iMac

Half Baked is for the lols, irrelevant ponderings, asking stupid questions, licking the proverbial butter, whinging, being a general prat. This is NOT a spam forum. HB adheres to totse-wide rules.
Enigma
Site Admin

thumbs down I'm legit considering buying a vintage iMac

Post by Enigma » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:47 pm

Or maybe a vintage macbook. Not for anything serious, just the nostalgia factor
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: I'm legit considering buying a vintage iMac

Post by Das Troll » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:12 pm

whatever floats your boat I guess.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:00 pm

I think I'm more likely to get a late 90s PC if anything. Maybe an early 2000s laptop. Just something that will allow me to play 16 and 32 bit games without much fuss.

murderman143
Registered

Post by murderman143 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:26 pm

HIT UP YOUR LOCAL FREE GEEK

Juicebox

Post by Juicebox » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:49 am

You guys have probably all seen this already, but:
At one point in time my mother wanted a cheap computer for Journaling or some shit

I was at goodwill one day and saw that they had a few old ass iMacs, and wanted $10 a piece for them, so I bought one

She didn't like it, so I thought maybe it would be worth something because it was so old and you know how applefags can be

Found out they were selling for around $100, not really worth it to me so it just sat in the trunk of a car for a while

A couple years later, after I had been forced into homelessness due to low pay and shitty family, my bridgemates and I were sitting around a fire drunk and stoned as fuck, trying to figure something to do

So we started finding things to throw on the fire to pass the time. Old clothes, non working electronics, a box of 7.62x39 rounds, stuff like that

Eventually we ran out of shit, so we went to my car,which was parked in a parking lot a quarter mile away, and looked in there for shit to burn. We saw the iMac, and looked at each other. We knew this was gonna be fun.

When we first threw it on the fire it didn't seem to do anything. For like ten minutes it just sat there. A puff of smoke now and again, a small pop. Boring. So one of my bridgemates hit it a few times with the axe we used to chop logs,and threw a cup of kerosene on it

It began decomposing at a quicker rate now, popping louder and more often, the plastic parts began to melt and shrink, and eventually this thick, black smoke that caused nearly instant syncope if inhaled began to pour out.

Eventually it got to be too much and we had to leave that section of the bridge, electing to sit on the railroad tracks about 50 yards away instead. We were protected from the smoke by a ten foot wall.

By now the smoke was pouring out and small explosions occurred irregularly every couple of minutes. We were almost positive that a visit from the fire department was imminent. But we had a horrible realization: we forgot the fucking beer on the other side of the wall.

So I drew in a deep breath, ran back behind the wall, grabbed the 12 pack, and ran back out, with just enough breath to spare.

A couple beers later, the smoke was still pouring out and the explosions had become more frequent but less powerful, occurring every few seconds. We couldn't remember where our box of 500 9mm rounds were, and we became worried that they were the source of the constant pops.

So I drew another deep breath and ran back in, looked around, and found the box of ammo about 6 feet from the fire. The fire had spread to a larger area but was still not tall, and well away from our storage area or anything else flammable.

I grabbed the box, but ran out of breath on my way out, and accidentally got a lung full of the smoke, which nearly knocked me right out. I became instantly dizzy and couldn't stand up, so I set the box of ammo down on the other side of the wall, and crawled back to the railroad tracks. After a moment of recuperation I got the box of ammo and brought it to our spot on the tracks.

No matter how hard I tried, I could not stop laughing for a solid hour

President Brown

Post by President Brown » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Last edited by President Brown on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 am

Just as an update, I put the iMac thing on the back burner for now, and am in the process of buying a 2000-20001 Compaq Presario with a (actually shitty) Pentium III. It has a fuck ton more ram than I'll ever use on such an old rig, and the onboard video is double what I had at the time, so my retro computer games will all work on it. Will have to pick up an old 486 for some shit, but could probably get away with using an empty CPU cycler.