There's over 7000 pages not being indexed

Bitch, moan, flame, and complain.
Enigma
Site Admin

There's over 7000 pages not being indexed

Post by Enigma » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:41 am

A lot of them are just due to the way Jeff had OG Totse coded so the URL is basically broken, but it's still annoying because that's all shit that could be getting indexed.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: There's over 7000 pages not being indexed

Post by Das Troll » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:59 pm

Jeff was apart of the old guard. Makes me wonder if he was just not that great of a coder when keeping newer tech in mind?

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:18 am

Oh, I've been saying that for YEARS. He was probably smart as a whip back when he started Totse, then when he moved from a BBS to an actual website is when he started getting out of his areas of expertise. When he migrated from UBB to vBulletin it really hit him how little he actually knew about PHP and SQL, and eventually he let it go because he simply couldn't keep up with maintenance that he didn't truly understand. If only he'd known at the time it would never get more complicated than it was.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:44 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:18 am
Oh, I've been saying that for YEARS. He was probably smart as a whip back when he started Totse, then when he moved from a BBS to an actual website is when he started getting out of his areas of expertise. When he migrated from UBB to vBulletin it really hit him how little he actually knew about PHP and SQL, and eventually he let it go because he simply couldn't keep up with maintenance that he didn't truly understand. If only he'd known at the time it would never get more complicated than it was.
He reminds me of that super smart retro dude who can build a radio from the ground up but can't figure out why kids love cinnamon toast crunch.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:26 am

That's kind of how it was. He didn't understand why we loved what we did, but he wasn't going to be the one to tell us we couldn't either.

Ain

Post by Ain » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:12 pm

Actually he got tired of the feds harassing him after 9/11. So he first took down the text files. It went to crap after that, he really lost interest. Then there was all of the crap we were doing hacking road signs, causing trouble on slashnet and such, not to mention the big war with cotse. totse vs cotse the war of the hackers and the security guards. Church of the swimming elephant. Yeah right. A bunch of whinny jackasses. But we left them alone after they complained to Enigma . I see that they are still around http://ns.cotse.net/privacyservice.html

You have to remember also that the web, was new and there was no standards then no CSS and javascript was brand new. \

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:11 am

Ain wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:12 pm
Actually he got tired of the feds harassing him after 9/11. So he first took down the text files. It went to crap after that, he really lost interest. Then there was all of the crap we were doing hacking road signs, causing trouble on slashnet and such, not to mention the big war with cotse. totse vs cotse the war of the hackers and the security guards. Church of the swimming elephant. Yeah right. A bunch of whinny jackasses. But we left them alone after they complained to Enigma . I see that they are still around http://ns.cotse.net/privacyservice.html

You have to remember also that the web, was new and there was no standards then no CSS and javascript was brand new. \
cotse? That must have been after I left because I've never heard of it.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:31 am

Ain wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:12 pm

This all sounds pretty exaggerated. Also, if the feds were harassing him why did he make a (two?) section(s?) DEDICATED to 9/11?

I'm not saying they weren't, because they absolutely were, but you sound crazy. That shit was up for 8 years after 9/11.

Ain

Post by Ain » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:33 am

He removed all of the bomb making text files from totse after 9/11. That was the start of it. And no I'm not exaggerating, if anything I've left a lot out.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:21 pm

To be fair, they were harassing him long before 9/11. He would often complain about the feds sending him actual letters telling him to take shit down. I imagine 9/11 was his breaking point.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:02 am

Ain wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:33 am
He removed all of the bomb making text files from totse after 9/11. That was the start of it. And no I'm not exaggerating, if anything I've left a lot out.
No, you're just flat out making shit up now. I distinctly remember threads discussing the bomb making text files, because many of them dealt with how wrong the text files were at times. So if he did take them down, it wasn't for very long because I was browsing these text files by early 2004.

Ain

Post by Ain » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:21 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOTSE#Media_attention

It's internet history. And I was there from the beginning. Do your own research. https://archive.org/
"Only doubtful truth needs defending."

https://web.archive.org/web/20010607221 ... timate.cgi

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:32 pm

Jesus that's a blast from the past.

Ain

Post by Ain » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:20 pm

Yeah, he put the bad ideas section back up after some soul searching. It took guts to keep the integrity of the site and go with freedom of speech over censorship.

Yeah Das Troll thank God for the internet archive its good to go back and read those old post. Somewhat heartbreaking also.
But this is "New Totse"! And, there is no reason that this version redux cant be as great! I think that Helladamnleet has done an excellent job so far.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:32 pm

Ain wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:20 pm
Yeah, he put the bad ideas section back up after some soul searching. It took guts to keep the integrity of the site and go with freedom of speech over censorship.

Yeah Das Troll thank God for the internet archive its good to go back and read those old post. Somewhat heartbreaking also.
But this is "New Totse"! And, there is no reason that this version redux cant be as great! I think that Helladamnleet has done an excellent job so far.
Thanks, bud. Totse was a big place and just keeping a community online for more than a couple years would go a long way in terms of bringing people back together. It'll never be what it was, but it could be it's own thing like how Zoklet is still remembered even though it was garbage.