Dumpster diving and where to do it

Do It Yourself! Advice on how to make beer, plant a garden, use power tools, record music, and build things yourself.
Das Troll
Registered

Dumpster diving and where to do it

Post by Das Troll » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:08 pm

Best time and place to go dumpster diving is in the summer in a college town. Lazy graduating college student don't want to deal with moving all of their shit so they will throw away just about everything. Just yesterday I found this out in the trash.

https://www.razer.com/gaming-speakers/r ... 60100-R3U1

I also found an AK airsoft gun, an arcade cabinet that I stripped down to the bones, and a lot of copper wire to strip. I constantly pass up TVs, vacuum cleaners, and lots more. Some people would look down on this sort of thing and I would too on a certain level. But you're not going for trash when you dumpster dive in a college town when people are moving out, you're basically finding new stuff all over the place. Apartment complexes, dorms, large clusters of houses with shared dumpsters are good places to start looking.

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Dumpster diving and where to do it

Post by Das Troll » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:39 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention the dangers. Watch out for glass, nails, and fucking rats. I just came across a rat with rabies. If you're dumpster diving in a large city where the trash is mixed with actual garbage, there will be rats and they will be mean.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:36 am

Dumpsters near good sized apartment complexes are usually decent too. The complex my dad lives at people would throw away desktop computers and shit all the time.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Lolfaggot

Post by Lolfaggot » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:00 pm

dumpster diving from jc penny is a hit or miss, go to your nearest stores at night preferably around early morning, like if you get across the ick factor and got to a dumpster behind a beauty store you can come with a night clean haul of high ticket items, like expensive make up pallettes learn how to repress and sanatize eyeshadows and resell on mercari or some used make up store, yes theres a thing its digusting for easy cash. be aware though certain beauty stores are high targets for dumpster diving.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:42 pm

Dumpster diving at businesses are mildly against the law. Some places like electronics stores or book stores will destroy things before they throw them away or simply lock their dumpster. They will call the law on you if they catch you. That only happened to me once though.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:14 pm

^ That depends on location. Around here once it hits the dumpster it's no longer the businesses's property. Technically it belongs to whoever owns the dumpster (usually Waste Management, but sometimes United Waste, or PIG)
:weed: [IP: logged]