Good landscaping tips

Do It Yourself! Advice on how to make beer, plant a garden, use power tools, record music, and build things yourself.
Enigma
Site Admin

Good landscaping tips

Post by Enigma » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:29 pm

I recently got done doing a bunch of yard work, and I just wanted to share a few tips:
  • Tar paper makes good landscaping fabric. It's thick, stands up to the elements due to it's design, degrades slowly, and funnels water to your plants.
  • When putting down landscaping fabric it's a good idea to pull up your edging stones so you can overlap the entire flowerbed. This also helps prevent weeds from coming up in between the stones.
  • A rubber mallet works great for getting the landscaping stones down flush, assuming you are using flat stones
  • Often times you can get sandstone for FREE by simply picking it up off the side of the road. The highway department doesn't tend to care, as it makes it easier for them to mow the ditches.
  • Rather than using mulch, use rock. I spent my entire childhood and teen years watching my mom put hundreds of dollars worth of mulch down EVERY YEAR. I have put river rock down ONCE in 10 years and hose it off when it gets dirty. Food for thought.
:weed: [IP: logged]