LG 3D HDTV repair

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Howard Lee

LG 3D HDTV repair

Post by Howard Lee » Mon May 14, 2018 2:51 pm

I was wondering if anyone may know what's wrong with my TV. When I turn on my TV the screen looks like it's off, but when I shine a flashlight on the screen you can see a shadow of the image in the dark. When I use a flashlight to find my way through the menu option I go to the power saving settings, I then tell it to turn off the screen. It turns off after 3 seconds, then I hit any button, and it starts working again. Sometimes I have to repeat this a couple of times cause it will go back dark again.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: LG 3D HDTV repair

Post by Enigma » Mon May 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Capacitor for the backlight
:weed: [IP: logged]

Howard Lee

Post by Howard Lee » Mon May 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Is that something that is going to have a continuing degenerative problem, that I will eventually have to replace or can I just continue fixing it this way. Though it seems to me to be more of a computer programming problem then a failing capacitor. Like for some reason it's not supplying the back light with enough power to perform.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue May 15, 2018 4:48 am

It's going to rapidly get worse, yes. Your best bet is going to be just replacing the capacitor. They cost <$10 for packs of 5, which is good because you'll want to be proactive and replace as many as possible.

A capacitor does exactly that...... Supplies the back light with enough power to perform.

Howard Lee

Post by Howard Lee » Tue May 15, 2018 10:47 am

Okay I'm no computer tech. I just sort of played around with the tv to get it working the way I did, would you be able to provide a link or anything on how to replace these capacitors and what to look for? Do I need to setup a clean room or have special tools?

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu May 17, 2018 5:20 am

You'll need to be able to solder. When I'm not at work I'll find an example picture.