Insulating my apartment.

Do It Yourself! Advice on how to make beer, plant a garden, use power tools, record music, and build things yourself.
Fonaplats
Registered

Insulating my apartment.

Post by Fonaplats » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:22 am

Put plastic on Windows.
That seems pretty straight forward.

I am doing all this cuz my electricity bill skyrocketed once the heat kicked on.
Went from $50 to $281.

Do I cut a hole so I can spin the stick and let light in?

I plant to do this to all the windows and the storm doors as they have glass missing.
Then Imma turn the horribly inefficient electric heater this shit hole uses OFF and go buy myself a space heater or 2.
1 for me and 1 for my gf.

Does anyone have any advice on space heaters?
Are any of them actually efficient?
Cheap?
Whats the best bang for my buck?
The draw is I can set the heater near to me and keep warm.

I can close off half my place and that should help too.

huffraid

Re: Insulating my apartment.

Post by huffraid » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:29 am

get the cheapest one with a fall-over cut-off switch that actually works and doesnt hang up on the chassis of the damn unit.

try to get one without as little digital crap in it as possible, mid 90-s to 2007 manufacturing date is good. they are hotter, have better heat control, handle the heat better, and don't cutoff "because it isn't safe" after 30 minutes.

the best you can get for a whole room is one of those cheap radiator style units that have the oil and the metal vanes and stuff, the old looking one y'know? It takes a minute but once it warms up, have a small fan or your computer exausht on it and you'll have a HOT room in no time.

the radiator style is the most cost/heat effecient. a blanket fort and a small direct convection blower style is the second best.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:03 am

For the plastic: I usually open my shades, plastic, then put a curtain up over since the curtain acts as like blanket as well.

As for the heater: No electric heater exists that uses over 1500 watts, but EACH space heater will consume 1500 watts. There's literally no such thing as an inefficient electric heater, as they turn 100% of the consumed energy into heat. Your bill will double if you run two space heaters. The best bang for you buck is warmer clothes.

What is your thermostat set to?
:weed: [IP: logged]

huffraid

Post by huffraid » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:58 pm

There is more to heating efficiency than you think, and that's coming from a licensed plumber/gasfitter/steamfitter who works closely (not for a year or so now though) with HVAC engineers.

something for a room that's on all the time and something smaller for directed air that gets turned on when you need it.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:30 pm

I just thought of it, but get some rugs.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:56 pm

Seal all unused doors with strips of cloth. Cracks around door and the space at the bottom let in a lot of cold air. I put an old towel at the bottom of my front door to keep out cold air.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:17 am

^ That. Felt works good and is light weight enough that most glue will hold it no problem.