King Con by Stephen J Carnell

Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.
Enigma
Site Admin

King Con by Stephen J Carnell

Post by Enigma » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:23 am

Read this one a long time ago, and decided to give it another read after slogging through 'The Stand', and I remember it being.... better. I obviously have the epub version, which is absolutely riddled with spelling errors, which could be because of when it got converted to digital, but I somewhat question if that's the case because I didn't run into this at all with the King books I read.

The basic gist of the plot is notorious con man Beano X Bates accidently scams a mob boss who ends up beating him nearly to death in a parking lot, and DA Victoria "Tricky Vicky" Hart is trying to convict him until he kills the key witness who ends up being Beano's cousin, so Beano seeks out Victoria to get revenge for his cousin (I think her name is Carol?) death.

It's actually a pretty short book, and gets to the main action rather quickly then starts planting seeds of doubt that you can't really predict. I mean, obviously Beano and Vicky come out on top in the end, but the twists and turns are really the reason one reads a book.

All in all, it's not a terrible read, but it does hinge on practically cringey at some times.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: King Con by Stephen J Carnell

Post by Enigma » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:49 am

So I finished this book finally, and I don't remember the ending being so..... Bad. Basically they wrap up the entire book in the last 15-25 pages, and hit you with quite possibly the most cliche ending ever.

I won't spoil it because I do recommend reading it, but just keep in mind the ending might not be as crazy as you'd think given the rest of the book.

Would I watch it as a movie? Yeah.
:weed: [IP: logged]