Is having a library still a status symbol?

Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.
AngryIVer
Registered

Is having a library still a status symbol?

Post by AngryIVer » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:21 pm

Years ago having an extensive home library was considered a status symbol because of the cost of printed material, and the knowledge and stories they contained, but in 2020 how relevant is having printed matter? On one hand most literature is available in digital format, with only first editions and other rarities that for one reason or another aren't available digitally being the only books "worth" keeping, but on the other had with digital format comes DRM, and original servers being lost with time, where printed matter is, in the right conditions, forever.

Are you still considered wealthy if you can afford a shit load of books?
Tell your friends about New Totse. Can't get murdered by police on the internet

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Is having a library still a status symbol?

Post by Das Troll » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:13 am

I think so. I have a shit load of books and I'm glad for it. I'm not going to lie and say that they're superior to digital in every way because they're not. One major bonus digital has over hard copy is with entertainment books. I've seen people go out and spend 15 dollars on a paperback entertainment book, read it once, then never again. Now it just sits on their shelf and takes up space. Why not have a 100 of these books on a E reader?

Now if it comes to history books, classic books, or books of real knowledge, then paper is superior. All you need is light for you to read.

AngryIVer
Registered

Re: Is having a library still a status symbol?

Post by AngryIVer » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:27 am

A friend of mine growing up lived in a house literally lined with books. His grandma's room had floor to ceiling book cases on 80% of the walls, the upstairs hallway was lined floor to ceiling on both sides with books, half the kitchen was cabinets full of books.....

Then again, they were collectors, so odds are at least a few of those books contained monetary value as well.

That being said, I never considered them rich. Although, looking back on it, some of the shit they had wasn't cheap, and my lord that retro gold mine because they kept boxes and shit for literally everything.
Tell your friends about New Totse. Can't get murdered by police on the internet