How does Archive.org get away with piracy

Fraud, vandalism, torture, theft, revenge, scams, and other bad ideas. Please do a forum search and site search before posting. Questions about explosives, drugs, weapons, and hacking do not belong in this forum. Please keep things theoretical in nature. Do not admit to crimes you have done or are planning to do.
Enigma
Site Admin

confused How does Archive.org get away with piracy

Post by Enigma » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:51 am

More often than not these days if I'm looking to pirate a program I end up getting it from archive.org. Everything from old versions of Adobe products, to current versions of Windows. Old games, sometimes hard to find CDs, all sorts of shit.

How in the fuck do they actually get away with this?
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: How does Archive.org get away with piracy

Post by Das Troll » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:41 pm

Probably a bunch of it is considered abandonware. There are a bunch of sites with old MS-DOS, C64, Amiga, ect ect games on it that the owner of the IP has abandoned so they're now free to download. As for the windows thing, I think windows pretty much has given up on people trying to pirate the actual software since a lot of times they give it away for free. What they do now is try and keep you from updating and using features of the newest builds.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:47 pm

Isn't that bad though? Like, don't you have to protect your IP in order to claim copyright down the line?

I suppose part of the Windows thing too is that if it doesn't come pre-activated you technically need a key that's implied you paid for. I guess SLIC has been a thing for a long time too

Opiate_Receptor

Post by Opiate_Receptor » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:55 pm

I think it's got something to do with the ORG domain.
ORG sites are (?) similar to non-profits so that they can't be sued for the same cash value as other types.
If I'm wrong, tell me.
If you can't see it my way, you're too stupid to live.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:25 pm

I looked more into it and I guess they get away with it by being classified as a library.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:42 pm

Enigma wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:25 pm
I looked more into it and I guess they get away with it by being classified as a library.
Makes sense. I've spent a lot of time in the VHS vault and it has a ton of copyrighted material.

https://archive.org/details/vhsvault?&s ... ads&page=3

kingoffrogs
Registered

Post by kingoffrogs » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:35 pm

WIKIPEDIA: The "good faith" defense (Section 504(c)(2)) reduces the statutory damages where the infringer was an educational institution, library, archive, or public broadcaster and reasonably believed that the infringing use was "fair use."

WIKIPEDIA:
Stay safe out there, stranger. :sun:

kirby

Post by kirby » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:41 am

fair use, as above.