Easy 2TiB hard drives

Fraud, vandalism, torture, theft, revenge, scams, and other bad ideas. Please do a forum search and site search before posting. Questions about explosives, drugs, weapons, and hacking do not belong in this forum. Please keep things theoretical in nature. Do not admit to crimes you have done or are planning to do.
Enigma
Site Admin

idea Easy 2TiB hard drives

Post by Enigma » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:43 pm

Find a Dish Hopper. They have 2TiB hard drives in them. Often times they are put in shipping boxes outside houses, so it's not like it's hard to find a few. My motherboard has, for example, 6 SATA ports, so if I I could, in theory, have 12TiB of space for free with a little daytime scouting.
:weed: [IP: logged]

STACKER

Re: Easy 2TiB hard drives

Post by STACKER » Mon May 20, 2019 1:39 pm

I used to do this all the time, going on with bikes collecting those black boxes next to the road. Or simply snatch them at the e-junk recycle center. Where you can also find nice other goodies, like full-blown PCs and even servers if lucky.

Keeping a watch out near high-schools/colleges at the end of trimesters is also a good idea, if you know where to look.
Dumpster diving is bottom on the list, but go in any IT company's dumpster and you'll find some junk you could potentially use. Although HDDs are rare unless they are incompetent .

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Easy 2TiB hard drives

Post by Enigma » Mon May 20, 2019 2:13 pm

STACKER wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:39 pm
I used to do this all the time, going on with bikes collecting those black boxes next to the road. Or simply snatch them at the e-junk recycle center. Where you can also find nice other goodies, like full-blown PCs and even servers if lucky.

Keeping a watch out near high-schools/colleges at the end of trimesters is also a good idea, if you know where to look.
Dumpster diving is bottom on the list, but go in any IT company's dumpster and you'll find some junk you could potentially use. Although HDDs are rare unless they are incompetent .
I bet the DirecTV boxes are decent for this kinda thing too. In fact, thinking about it, I think I pulled my last laptop hard drive out of a DirecTV DVR I had laying around.

That's a good tip too. Dish and DirecTV send you boxes to just have FedX come pick up, so you can often find them as returned equipment.
:weed: [IP: logged]