Apple Silicon is a joke

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Enigma
Site Admin

Apple Silicon is a joke

Post by Enigma » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:42 pm

Even in their own press release they state that Intel based macs will still be the performance Macs, so the question I have is: Why even fucking bother releasing an ARM based Mac?

Oh, yeah, that's right, because they can now sell an 11 cent processor for $8,000
:weed: [IP: logged]

Winnebago

Re: Apple Silicon is a joke

Post by Winnebago » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:41 am

I for one am very curious to see what they'll come up with. It's at least another opportunity to differentiate from x86 machines, just like back in the PPC and Motorola days. And if the performance of their i-devices is anything to go by, these new Macs will at least perform sufficiently for day to day tasks.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:36 pm

If by that you mean they will perform as well as a windows based PC from 7 years ago...

Winnebago

Post by Winnebago » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:01 am

That's a bit of a shitty old argument, don't you think? I took me two seconds to find this: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/new-ipad-p ... 28453.html

And that's the 2018 model. I have no doubt the custom Apple sillicon for Macs will perform much better than that.

A trillion dollar company (2 trillion even) doesn't need some random guy on the internet defending them. But I'm sincerely curious to see what they can do. Don't you feel at least some curiosity to what a big company can do with such a big departure from the beaten path (Intel and x86)? Or do you just want to conservatively hold on to what you know?

This might make the Mac even less suitable for the traditional kind of gaming you perhaps like to do. But that's fine, every trade has its tool.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:18 am

It's literally going to be their budget line. They aren't even dropping Intel Macs, they're just adding on this Silicone BS.

Idk why you're showing me an iPad when the topic is iMacs

I'm not curious because I know the answer: Money. They don't want to share a piece of the pie with Intel anymore, so they're going back to making their own shitty hardware in house. As far as "holding on to what I know" I have a PPC eMac sitting on my kitchen table right now.

I take it you're a Mac shill? Name a single thing a Mac can do that a PC can't besides costing 4x as much.

Winnebago

Post by Winnebago » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:41 am

I'm showing you a comparison of an iPad Pro with some i7 laptops of that era to illustrate that 2018's Apple sillicon could already outperform some very high end Intel processors. Since the processor in an iPad needs to be restricted for battery life, cooling and form factor, it's safe to assume the processor in a Mac product will perform a lot better, since those restrictions will matter far less.

The Intels aren't dropped yet: Apple said they will have a two year transition period, just like they did when they transitioned from PPC to Intel.

Of course the motivation is money. It's a company. Their only goal is to grow, taking only in regard the laws and current morals in society (that's not saying a company is moral: a business is completely amoral). That's capitalism for ya, and Intel plays by the same rules.

I'd love to be an Apple shill, because then this quarreling would at least make me some money ;) Like I said, I don't have to defend them. I simply prefer Apple products (to Windows, to Android), there's hardly anything rational about that.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:52 am

Okay, name something Apple products can do better than both PC and Android. I'll wait while you grasp at straws. Beyond costing 4x as much for outdated hardware I'm not seeing a whole lot.

Funny thing is: MacOS costs nothing used. The hardware costs nothing new. Why do they cost so much?

Winnebago

Post by Winnebago » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:01 am

I'm not keeping tabs on that list and making judgments based on that. If I would, I could be changing platforms every time one has an update and gives it an edge over the other.

The only thing that matters for me: it offers me the most pleasant experience while doing the things I need to do with computers and other devices.

When you're attacking the price of these products, you're taking offense in Apple's money-making ability. If that's your problem, you better quit anything with a logo on it.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:12 pm

Okay, like what? What does it do better?

No, I'm saying Apple silicon is garbage. You're the one saying it's not and that Apple products are better.

Taking offense? I've said several time it does better at costing 4x as much.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:54 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:12 pm
Okay, like what? What does it do better?

No, I'm saying Apple silicon is garbage. You're the one saying it's not and that Apple products are better.

Taking offense? I've said several time it does better at costing 4x as much.
I hear it does video editing a lot better.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:16 am

I've heard that too, but have also heard that was a long time ago, and never really heard any reasons HOW it did it better other than "it's easier".

Winnebago

Post by Winnebago » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:30 pm

Video editing is a matter of preference. Adobe Premier and DaVinci Resolve are kind of the standard now and they work fine on Windows and Mac (DaVinci even had a Linux version). Some professionals prefer FInal Cut Pro and that's exclusive to the Mac.

I'm not saying it's easier (than WIndows, Linux, DOS, or whatever you prefer), I'm just saying it different and I like it.

Same goes for Apple sillicon for Mac. I can't say for sure it will be the best thing ever, but suspect it might be surprisingly good. We'll just have to wait and see.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:58 pm

Why? Why do you prefer it?

You know what? Don't answer me. Let's let it be a New Totse Mystery. I'm actually over it as it's been several days and it just keeps looping back to the same thing: liking it simply because it's Apple, not because it's better quality.

Winnebago

Post by Winnebago » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:26 am

Well, it would be like explaining why I like blue better than yellow. I already told you it's not a preference that can (or should) be explained rationally. But I'll try.

I like how it installs apps (usually it's simply dragging the icon from the virtual disk to your applications folder. But you can run apps from that virtual disk as well).
I like the Spotlight search function (not a great differentiator nowadays, but it absolutely was when I started using Macs).
I like how effortlessly all my devices work together (even though this locks you into their system).
I like the fluidity of opening and switching between apps.
I like the Finder.
I like the clarity of the System Preferences.
I like the waythe OS and the devices look.
I like Apple's stance on privacy.
I like the longevity of (at least their older) products. My 2012 MacBook is still running like a dream and still gets updated. Same for my 2014 iPad Air. For what I do with it, it's performance is indistinguishable from a new one. And it'll get the OS update in september.
I like all the other little comforts that make me feel right at home. Shortcuts, menu placements, file behavior, the Terminal...

So there's dozens of things. Not one of those things makes it objectively better or worse for anyone, it's just what I like.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:22 am

There, was that so hard? You were even willing to admit that PCs can do most of this, or that some of it was just cosmetic.

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:33 am

I've always thought Apple was overpriced garbage but I'm almost willing to throw myself into the Apple ecosystem just for their phones. None of my Androids seem to have much longevity anyway, so switching to Apple wouldn't even really be a downgrade in hardware/longevity (for phones anyway, their computers and shit still are far behind AFAIK).

And their privacy. Oof. Haven't they told the Gov to fuck off when asked to open up phones? I love my Samsung's side bar I can swipe out and the curved edge in general, but omfg I might fucking drop them for an Apple in a generation or 2 at this rate. And their messenger defaulting to IM with other Apple users since it can, instead of fucking MMS and SMS???? Yes, please.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:05 pm

Yeah they're great if you aren't a power user who enjoys being able to use the hardware to it's fullest potential by installing apps that aren't found in the app store. Not to mention Apple can also just decide you don't own the phone anymore and remotely lock it.

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:31 pm

apple has and will always be a huge shitshow, but no one thinks it until it is too late

people think, pcs suck because they are cheaper and run more applications and etc unironically

my dad has an ibook.. the g3 snow. used it till 09, and it only lasted 6 years because apple switched. I am switching to pc asap.
Ту лоцуи ин црима - орас!

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:21 pm

The NUMBER ONE THING I stress to people is that Mac OS will run on Intel hardware AND AMD hardware with OSX86 and AMD OS X respectively. If I had a power supply capable of running more drives I might even throw OS X on a drive and dual boot so I can run shit like Pro Tools better

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:21 pm

*What I'm saying is that OS X is solid. I like OS X. Imagine having the RAM and CPU capabilities it requires because you built the PC yourself.

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:55 am

i have used osx since 10.4 and that was when 'the poors, the commoners' could own apple. now, they are trying to milk cash out of people and now they switch. they wont be supporting intels for as long as ppc, and that sucks.

you could get 10.6 on ppc with a small tweak, but with small dick sur, they will only let you get that on intell and none after that.

an imac g3 was 800 bucks back then, but that was the top-of-the-line mac, not like now where the cheapest is 1500.

macs are just less useful i mean, and big sure looks like shitty ios on a mac.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:05 pm

I was under the impression they'd still be supporting Intel for a while longer and that the Apple Silicone was for "professional" use

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:22 pm

maybe

I watched WWC but it felt like a lecture about how to tie shoes

But what about compatibility? they give dev kits and shit but most things take longer than a year to get fully up and running

and steam? steam is fucked. gaming on macs will be WIPED.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:26 pm

Maybe the combination of Apple Silicone being an expensive joke and the iPhone 12 bombing with consumers Apple will finally come down a peg

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:50 pm

hah! i hope so.

what do you think about gaming on macs after silicon? I am sure steam is fucked but don't know about other stuff - maybe some might be more compatible, like some windows ARM programs?

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:09 am

It'll be done. They don't care. According to this: https://www.statista.com/statistics/265 ... orm-steam/ less than 3% of their users are Mac users.

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:28 am

hah! I am now an OS minority.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:13 pm

Don't feel bad, I used to game on Linux which apparently is even less of the percentage.

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:29 pm

How is it?

I used to use Ubuntu a lot more, but that was on steam and I don't play loads of different titles, I just pick a few I like.

I did notice CS:GO was incredibly slow, not sure why. L4D2, TF2 and Terraria ran fine though.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:52 pm

Literally the only game I never got to work was Roblox because it uses some 3rd party wrapper.

I think one other thing might not have because it used a 3rd party authenticator that wasn't compatible. I wanna say something stupid that I didn't care about like Fortnite

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:56 pm

Really? Sounds nice. I just feel more comfortable in MacOS, since I have used MacOS and almost only MacOS since fuckin 10.4

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:20 am

Yeah, man, like I said. MacOS is actually pretty solid. It's the fact they upcharge the hardware that hard that pisses me off. That being said you can get Mac OS on eBay for like $10