The vic20 Maxi

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Das Troll
Registered

The vic20 Maxi

Post by Das Troll » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:06 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiap ... f-the-80s/

Being the lover of old tech that I am I was excited when the C64 mini came out. After seeing many bad reviews about, not to mention the keyboard on it wasn't functioning, I decided to skip it. Then the C64 Maxi came out and I deeply coveted that device. The only real problem is the company that made it is out of Europe and after their initial investors got theirs, they stopped making them for a time. Once they decided to start making them again, covid happened and all manner of fuck ups happened. Fast forward to now and the only place that sells the c64 maxi is Amazon.uk and they wont send it to the states. But they are taking pre-orders for the Vic20 Maxi which is basically the same thing, pretty much all the way down to the emulation and keyboard layout. I think there are some differences in games but that's about it.

Why do I want this new, old piece of shit? Well it was one of the first computers I played with way back when I was a kid. There are also original commodore 64 BBS still out there and still running that you can dial into with the original hardware. Some inventive people have even fabricated a wireless modem that works with the commodore 64. Sadly the C64 and Vic20 Maxis have no way of connecting to the internet, hopefully that will change soon.

Helladamnleet
Site Admin

Re: The vic20 Maxi

Post by Helladamnleet » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:20 am

That's funny, a C64 was my first computer. Granted I got mine in 1996, but that's all I had until 2002 or so when my mom finally upgraded and let us take over her Gateway.

The big advantage was the way I got it. My grandma was having an estate sale and my rich ass aunt donated it, so my dad got the C64, like 80 disc based games, 20 cart based games, and an NES with 40 games, two controllers, the NES advantage, and two light guns for, I shit you not, $17.
#Trump2020 [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:48 am

Nice. A full C64 setup now runs about 300 dollars.

Helladamnleet
Site Admin

Post by Helladamnleet » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:12 pm

I'm still semi-pissed my dad left it behind when we moved. I had the actual C64 screen and everything. Back when it was Chroma/Luma
#Trump2020 [IP: logged]