Very cool 3D object sharing site

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Enigma
Site Admin

Very cool 3D object sharing site

Post by Enigma » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:40 am

https://www.thingiverse.com/

Basically you can download and share other CAD designs for your own 3D print/laser cutting pleasure.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Very cool 3D object sharing site

Post by Das Troll » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:09 pm

It's pretty decent for basic objects, headphone hangers, simple things, ect. The problem comes with the modelers skills and the skills of the person printing the 3d object. You can see this with models that have over hangs. If you're good you can make the grade to the overhang slight enough to where the FDM printer won't print in mid air and making a snarl. A lot of modelers don't take that into account and neither do the people printing it. If it's a resin print it doesn't really matter since supports are pretty much on every print, but they're not so much on FDM filament printers.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Very cool 3D object sharing site

Post by Enigma » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:16 pm

Well yeah, that's kind of a given. It's nice to not have to start from scratch for certain things, like they have mounts for every Dreamcast related mod, the VW groups share 3D printed vent schematics for adding boost gauges and stupid things like that. I saw a lot of custom valve caps. It's nice to have a starting point for some things as well. Like there's a Golf MK3 cup holder model that I think I could modify to work in a B3/B4 Passat.

Just nice seeing that buying a 3D printer wouldn't be a waste of money if I don't get real into CAD design (I like CAD so I'm not worried)
:weed: [IP: logged]