How long have you been coding?

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Fonaplats
Registered

How long have you been coding?

Post by Fonaplats » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:28 pm

Do you code?
What languages do you know?
How long have you been at it?
Any advice?

Das Troll
Registered

Re: How long have you been coding?

Post by Das Troll » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:54 pm

I used to do BASIC a long time ago, I've since needed to some relearning. Python is good for beginners. A lot of people will say some version of C. My suggestion is get a good environment/compiler ( I think they're still called that) that will pick up a lot of syntax errors and such. RUBY on the rails is good as well. If I remember correctly you can run a chunk of code to see if it does what you think it should do right off the bat instead of having to compile it and debug.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:07 am

I can bullshit my way through some HTML but that's about it. Maybe some Javascript because I did get good at that once upon a time, and Actionscript but that's related to a dead media.
:weed: [IP: logged]

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:50 pm

used to know a little html.. and some basic on DOS and a TI 99/4a.
Ту лоцуи ин црима - орас!

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:59 am

One thing that surprises me is I never got into LUA scripting. Probably because with most things it takes retarded amounts of code to do basic shit, and barring very special cases it's usually more effective to modify existing code.

Honestly, unless you're trying to sell the code, enjoy the challenge, or can't find quite what you're looking for, there's no point doing it yourself.
:weed: [IP: logged]