Odd find while paying rent

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Das Troll
Registered

Odd find while paying rent

Post by Das Troll » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:00 am

handset.jpeg
handset.jpeg (112.06 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
Oddly enough I found this at my local office where I pay rent. They were just going to toss it out because no one knew what it was or why it was there. I haven't seen an old lineman's handset in many years because who the hell has a land line anymore? I grabbed it and now I have a piece of nearly useless tech.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Odd find while paying rent

Post by Enigma » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:13 am

I feel like landlines could still be useful, but I don't have one so idk.

It's in GREAT condition from the looks.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:14 pm

It's not an official one sadly, it's from monoprice.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8136

Still a 100 dollar item though.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:15 pm

I was watching some YouTube video where some guy had one of these and was trying to figure out why his DSL was shitty, and explained the advantages of old coper wire phone lines vs fiber and he made some good points, like you can't use a rotary phone on fiber.
:weed: [IP: logged]