Bone conduction headphones are the tits

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Das Troll
Registered

Bone conduction headphones are the tits

Post by Das Troll » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:38 am

Seriously though, these things are like the best of all worlds. I hate headphones because it makes my head hot and I can't hear anything outside of the cups. I picked up the Aftershoks bone conduction headphones with the boom mic so I can call people faggots while I play Sea of Thieves and let me tell you, it's just like headphones without having hot ears. Shame the good(ish) bone conduction headphones are so expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/AfterShokz-Condu ... 9784&psc=1

I doubt I'll go back to be honest.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Bone conduction headphones are the tits

Post by Enigma » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:35 pm

I've never tried them, but you see that style used a lot in professional settings, so I'd assume they're pretty good. Might get some next time I'm due for a new headset.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:54 am

Interesting thing happens in the settings. Under your devices it comes up as a pair of headphones and a headset. If you make the headset the default device the sound quality turns to shit, think cassette tape quality. I kept having problems with it in discord because if I switched to headphones I couldn't use the mic. But I think I fixed it by splitting the headphones and headset up in the settings. Weird that the quality turns so badly if you don't put it on headphones.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:49 am

I think headsets are defaulted to like CD quality.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:27 pm

Enigma wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:49 am
I think headsets are defaulted to like CD quality.
That was the case. In the sound device settings the headset was set to tape quality. Like that's how it was described where the headphones had CD quality.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:37 pm

That's weird that they'd even allow such low quality in 2021

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:25 pm

Found out the reason why the quality is so low? The headphones can handle the data pass through but when you add the mic to it, it has to basically downgrade the quality so it can all fit ( I think ). Makes sense since the Bluetooth 5.0 only has a 2Mb passthrough. My solution was to buy a big ass mic that attaches to the desk and then split the output and input.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:34 am

Ohhhhh so basically it was cutting it's own bandwidth in half.

Audio quality is weird too. Like I have a cheap condenser mic from years ago that you have to fiddle with to get it to sound right, but to contrast that I have a lapel mic that ONLY works on my phone that sounds pretty legit.

notagame

Post by notagame » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:51 am

I bought SENNHEISER HD 599 Open Back Headphones. I think they have the best headphones on the market.

Their design is impeccable, and the sound is awesome.

Here you can find some more suggestions for open back headphones - https://streammentor.com/best-open-back ... or-gaming/.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:02 am

notagame wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:51 am
I bought SENNHEISER HD 599 Open Back Headphones. I think they have the best headphones on the market.

Their design is impeccable, and the sound is awesome.

Here you can find some more suggestions for open back headphones - https://streammentor.com/best-open-back ... or-gaming/.
Not a bad price. One thing I don't like about the bone conduction headphones is the fact that the settings often get messed up in windows for some reason. Not sure why. My main guess is because of all the bullshit I had to go through to get it to work with my desk mic. They're still awesome, but damn are they a pain to get to work with games.