commodore 64?

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Das Troll
Registered

commodore 64?

Post by Das Troll » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:01 pm

Ebay is the only place I can find one at the moment. The cheapest ones are about 150 dollars. Where else should I look? Craigslist in my area and surrounding area is a bust.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: commodore 64?

Post by Enigma » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:48 am

If cost is a major factor I would maybe get one that's either untested or confirmed unworking. It's usually a bad cap, or in the case of Commodore 64s it's usually a fried GPU/CPU/Memory because they didn't use heatsyncs
:weed: [IP: logged]

STACKER

Post by STACKER » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm

Das Troll wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:01 pm
Ebay is the only place I can find one at the moment. The cheapest ones are about 150 dollars. Where else should I look? Craigslist in my area and surrounding area is a bust.
I recently found myself a trashy VIC20 with a big cap loose on the board (easy fix by re-soldering is to there) and two missing keycaps in a dumpster, bloody thing still works but need to make a new power supply for it and check the cassette deck.
I still recommend looking for the 'clearing attic, old computers up there' ads on there, I have them semi-occasionally here.

Now that we are on the subject of retro hardware, anyone know where I can get a DEC VT420 (or any model for that matter, am eyeballing a amber one) dumb terminal from? They are damn hard to find here in Europe.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:39 pm

STACKER wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm
Das Troll wrote:
Now that we are on the subject of retro hardware, anyone know where I can get a DEC VT420 (or any model for that matter, am eyeballing a amber one) dumb terminal from? They are damn hard to find here in Europe.
My old job had 3 of those fucking things. I hated using them so much.

STACKER

Post by STACKER » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:30 am

Das Troll wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:39 pm
STACKER wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm
Das Troll wrote:
My old job had 3 of those fucking things. I hated using them so much.
They aren't really the most pleasant, but need it for a project.