3com SuperStack 3 3300

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Enigma
Site Admin

3com SuperStack 3 3300

Post by Enigma » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:34 am

Just picked up one of these bad boys from eBay the other day and it arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, it was literally just the unit in a box, so I now had to order a null modem cable to really see what this thing can do, as it's not on the default settings (nor would I expect it to be). LUCKILY I happen to have a computer within 10 feet of where it's sitting that has a working (I hope) serial port, so Thursday I can dig into that and migrate my network over.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: 3com SuperStack 3 3300

Post by Enigma » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:35 am

This shit kind of reminds me of old computers, probably because it basically is. I had to fucking telnet to it to reinitialize it, then I fucked the settings up 3 times in a row and finally had to Google what the fuck I was trying to do. Turns out there is no default IP AT ALL. You literally are REQUIRED to telnet to it to set it up the first time, so either way I'd have been fucked.

It has a few neato features though:

I can connect a dial up modem to it and change settings REMOTELY
I can monitor all 24 ports and change every setting about them or even disable the port

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:41 am

Why are you doing this again?

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:53 am

Doing what? Why did I get a switch? Because 24 ports ethernet ports is extremely useful to me.

STACKER

Post by STACKER » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:13 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:35 am
This shit kind of reminds me of old computers, probably because it basically is. I had to fucking telnet to it to reinitialize it, then I fucked the settings up 3 times in a row and finally had to Google what the fuck I was trying to do. Turns out there is no default IP AT ALL. You literally are REQUIRED to telnet to it to set it up the first time, so either way I'd have been fucked.

It has a few neato features though:

I can connect a dial up modem to it and change settings REMOTELY
I can monitor all 24 ports and change every setting about them or even disable the port
Damn, having telnet open like that the day of today is odd.
I know my 24-port switch has a HTTP server on it that allows for some tweaking behind a login, but AFAIK nothing like having telnet as open as that. Still neat to have broad control over all the specific ports

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:13 am

This one can do HTTP also, but yeah, Telnet is basically the "OH SHIT" mode of doing things for this. I was kind of pissed at first, but then I realized all 3 computers I have access too have serial ports so I can hook a null modem cable up to any of them

The more impressive feature to me is that I can get a modem, hook it up to the serial port, and dial in to the telnet session.