Sega Genesis Mini

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Das Troll
Registered

Sega Genesis Mini

Post by Das Troll » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:27 pm

Before I begin, I understand that you can just get a pi and have all the games and consoles up to a certain point on them for much cheaper.

I recently picked up the Sega Genesis mini. The console itself is very small and light. So light in fact that the stiffness of the HDMI cable will often lift or drag the console off the table that it is sitting on. The controllers are pretty much exactly like the original with only a few minor changes. The buttons are much sharper and more "clicky". That is to be expected from it's newness. The main difference is the D pad on the old controller is made of smooth plastic and the newer controller has a much rougher texture to it. Also the controllers are basic usb connectors.

The game listing is pretty solid and the games are responsive. They also give you the ability to add scan lines onto your flat screen if you so wish. Also selecting a game gives you a little run down of it before you start. There's not much else to be said about it. You can hack it and add more games if you like.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Sega Genesis Mini

Post by Enigma » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:24 am

How is the sound? I always hear with Sega clones that the SOUND sucks dick because nobody can get the rights to use the original sound chip.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:43 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:24 am
How is the sound? I always hear with Sega clones that the SOUND sucks dick because nobody can get the rights to use the original sound chip.
Far as I can tell it's spot on. This is official hardware and not some shit retro clone. I don't know if they got license to the original sound or not but I can't tell the difference if they didn't.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:14 am

I'd almost put money on them either having new-old stock or retaining the rights to use the chips. That's been the biggest gripe everyone has had for at least 20 years. For some reason nobody has been able to emulate the sound chip perfectly.
:weed: [IP: logged]