How do YouTubers do it

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Enigma
Site Admin

confused How do YouTubers do it

Post by Enigma » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:50 am

So, I tend to watch most of my programming on YouTube due to simplicity, and I watch a couple of YouTubers who deal with retro hardware quite often, and I can't help but wonder what they do to be able to sustain such a lifestyle. I mean, sure, I've noticed this one guy rotates the same few PCs throughout multiple videos, but don't they live in, like, tiny apartments? Even if they're showing 3 computers regularly, they still have to have a main computer of some sort, meaning they apparently have the space for 4 computers.

Now, maybe I'm just a weirdo because personally I like my shit being up and running or in a state where I can start it easily, so my retro computer is set up ready to go even though I play on it once a week. Maybe they just store the shit until they need to bring it out and don't need space for all 4 computers.

I don't know :confused: . All I know is that they somehow not only have the MONEY for this retro gear (serious a 486 is fucking expensive), but the SPACE to either store it or display it.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: How do YouTubers do it

Post by Das Troll » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:52 pm

Patreon and ad money. Lots of them also have jobs. You have to get a few thousand people for YT to even consider you for ad revenue and even then you have to pretty much be PG approved to keep those ads. Combine that with cleaver camera angles and use of space and you have someone who looks like they have more money than they do.

On the flip side of that you have people like Pewdiepie who use a super basic setup and get millions of dollars a year for being a doofus in front of a camera.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 pm

The money isn't what is as baffling to me as having the SPACE. Desktop computers take up hella space

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:46 pm

Yeah the space is a bit of an issue. Guess it all comes down to how much you can stack up.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:21 am

True, and I guess ultimately they only really need a small space for presentation.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 am

The local computer store has jumped on the "youtube content creator" thing and has a whole setup. The camera is set behind or on top of the monitor and the mic is attached to the side of the desk with an arm. Even with the pop filter attached to it it doesn't seem cluttered.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:11 pm

That's actually pretty cool. When I have better gaming hardware I think I'll start streaming shit and set up a patreon.