Pi-Hole

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
AngryIVer
Registered

Pi-Hole

Post by AngryIVer » Tue May 05, 2020 5:49 am

Pi-Hole is fantastic. It's like AdBlock, but it runs on your entire network meaning all of your devices benefit from it.

The only real requirements are:
- A computer capable of running Docker/A RaspberryPi Zero+ or better
- (optionalish) A router that lets you manually configure the DNS settings

You just set it up on either Docker or a Raspi, set your router (or devices) to use the Raspi as your DNS, and enjoy being ad free everywhere. You can even set up your own VPN and connect your phone for ad blocking on the go.
Tell your friends about New Totse. Can't get murdered by police on the internet

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Pi-Hole

Post by Das Troll » Tue May 05, 2020 1:24 pm

Yeah I've had one of these going for a while but you gotta keep an eye on it. Sometimes it will just freeze up. You could just make a headless pi and SSH into it over your own network as well. That's how I would often find out that the thing was frozen up. I'd SSH into the pi over the network to update the kernal and the adblock list and see that it wasn't functioning.

I personally have a stack of pis because I keep buying the new version when it comes out. I just take an older one and turn it into the new pi hole and move my way up the list.

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Tue May 05, 2020 1:26 pm

That'd be so sick. Ads are so annoying and are often extremely intrusive. Always hated there wasn't any good adblock for phones, probably time I set up a pi-hole. And the VPN would be dope for all kinds of reasons.

AngryIVer
Registered

Post by AngryIVer » Wed May 06, 2020 5:25 am

Das Troll wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:24 pm
Yeah I've had one of these going for a while but you gotta keep an eye on it. Sometimes it will just freeze up. You could just make a headless pi and SSH into it over your own network as well. That's how I would often find out that the thing was frozen up. I'd SSH into the pi over the network to update the kernal and the adblock list and see that it wasn't functioning.

I personally have a stack of pis because I keep buying the new version when it comes out. I just take an older one and turn it into the new pi hole and move my way up the list.
Good to know. I wonder if I could set up a script that pings it every few minutes and emails me when it doesn't get a response or something.

Kheron wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:26 pm
That'd be so sick. Ads are so annoying and are often extremely intrusive. Always hated there wasn't any good adblock for phones, probably time I set up a pi-hole. And the VPN would be dope for all kinds of reasons.
Normally ads don't bother me that much since it's only a few seconds, but Facebook has this fucking '7AM start clapping' commercial where it's a shit load of people banging on pots and shit "to wake up essential workers", and for some reason commercials are like 40% louder than everything else.

The VPN isn't wildly useful unless you're using it to connect to a more traditional VPN. It's more for when your'e on the go and don't want ads.

AngryIVer
Registered

Post by AngryIVer » Wed May 06, 2020 8:44 pm

So literally fuck Bevcomm. There's no viable way to change the DNS settings to get around the ads.