Old Totse review #7 Shuriken

This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons.
Das Troll
Registered

Old Totse review #7 Shuriken

Post by Das Troll » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:15 am

https://newtotse.com/oldtotse/en/bad_id ... riken.html

This seems to be written by a mall ninja, but he's not completely wrong in the things he says. Lets break it down, shall we?

"THE SHURIKEN OR THE THROWING STAR HAS MAINLY ONE PURPOSE TO THE NINJA. A DISTRACTION FOR ESCAPE, MUCH LIKE THE SMOKE SCREEN. THE NINJA WOULD THROW THE STAR IN A DIRECTION WHICH MADE A SOUND IN A TOTALLY WRONG DIRECTION SO HIS OPPONENT WILL BE SEARCHING YOU IN THE WRONG PLACES, THEREFORE YOU CAN ESCAPE. IN MODERN MOVIES, I HAVE SEEN THEM USE IT TO KILL AN OPPONENT. AS I HAVE LEARNED FROM MY GRAND MASTER, THE SHURIKEN IS NOT ACCURATE ENOUGH TO KILL. MOST LIKELY, YOU CAN ONLY DAMAGE THE PERSON HIT BY THE SHURIKEN. THEREFORE IT IS ONLY USED AS A DISTRACTION DEVICE."

This is mostly true. In the movies you have the ninja throwing a bunch of these to turn a person into a bloody mess. If they were used as a weapon at all, they were often used to stab. I've heard that they would use them with poison as well but that may just be wishful thinking. He is right about the accuracy though, they're tough to hit anything with.

"BUT, KNOW AS A FACT THAT SOME NINJAS, ONLY A VERY FEW, WERE EXPERTS ON SHURIKEN THROWING AND WERE ABLE TO KILL WITH IT. THERE WERE EXACTLY TWO PEOPLE IN THE HISTORY OF JAPAN WHO CAN PROPERLY THROW A SHURIKEN. THEY WERE AROUND IN THE 1500-1700 A.D."

I've heard these things before but I've never saw any solid proof about it. I do believe that almost no one could hit shit with these things. I guess it's possible to hit someone in the neck if you were a good enough shot.

"I KNOW THAT THERE IS NO ONE WITH AN AWL OR SCREWDRIVER."

I have no idea what he means here.

"I WILL TEACH THE BASIC METHOD OF THROWING THIS TOOL. GRIP ONE OF THE POINTS WITH YOUR THUMB & YOUR FORE AND MIDDLE FINGERS. TO AIM IT TO THE DESIRED OBJECT, LOOK AT THE REST OF THE SHURIKEN THAT IS NOT COVERED BY YOUR GRIP. THE HALF POINT FROM THE TOP TO THE BOTTOM OF YOUR VISUAL POINT, IS WHERE THE TARGET SHOULD BE FOCUSED AT. WHEN YOU RELEASE IT, SNAP THE SHURIKEN WITH YOUR MIDDLE FINGER. IF THE SHURIKEN FLYS VERTICAL WITHOUT ROTATING HORIZONTALLY, THEN YOUR SHURIKEN IS FAIRLY BALANCED. PRACTICE THROWING THE SHURIKEN EVERYDAY, YOU CAN FIGURE OUT OTHER COMFORTABLE METHODS OF THROWING AND HITTING THE TARGET. HAVE FUN..."

If I'm understanding him, this method puts a spin on the shuriken much like a rifle puts a spin on a bullet for stability. I was never very good at throwing a shuriken but I could see this working.

Overall this wasn't a complete piece of shit and the guy might have had real ninja training, whatever that even is these days. Ninjutsu kinda lost all of it's credibility with the great martial arts holocaust of the early 90s. Now onto the fun part.

Shurikens by Zero The Inestable(sp?)

Zero was one of the OG DIY mods that was way way better at it than I was. The crazy SOB would make all sorts of shit that blew my young mind. One of the things he did was make shurikens out of electrical box covers as seen here:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-City- ... /205124442

At .62 it wouldn't be too expensive to create shurikens with a little elbow grease. I personally wouldn't use something like tin snips, I would use something like an angle grinder. I'm not sure the thickness of the steel but the actual size wouldn't be too bad.