My favorite club, the shillelagh.

This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons.
Das Troll
Registered

My favorite club, the shillelagh.

Post by Das Troll » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:56 am

If you ever come across a piece of wood with a fist sized knob at the end, you may want to consider making a shillelagh. These old Irish weapons were traditionally made of blackthorn (Prunus spinosa) wood and are increasingly hard to find because of the scarcity of the wood. Any wood really can be made into a shillelagh but it won't be authentic much in the same way as vodka made outside of Russia isn't vodka, AKA take it with a grain of salt.

These weapons are fantastic to use as a general day to day carry if you're looking for a low key weapon. Unlike a sword cane, these "weapons" are just canes with a knob handle at the end "assuming you don't go for the short club version." Ancient warriors knew the best place to put that knob was right on one of the most vulnerable, thin places on the skull, the temporal bone, AKA the temple. Other great places are hard spots on the body, knees, elbows, wrists, sternum, ect. Places with very little padding and a lot of hard bone.
Attachments
shillelagh.jpg
shillelagh.jpg (201.07 KiB) Viewed 1778 times

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: My favorite club, the shillelagh.

Post by Enigma » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:58 am

I've always found these bad ass as well. The thin rod cuts down on wind resistance and the hard knot deals maximum damage, plus the police can't say you can't have a cane.
:weed: [IP: logged]