Maiden Rock, WI

Travel tips, places to go, things to do.
Helladamnleet
Site Admin

thumbs down Maiden Rock, WI

Post by Helladamnleet » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Maiden Rock, WI get's it's name from a Native American princess who committed suicide by throwing herself off of the nearby bluff when she was forced to marry a Native American from a different tribe whom she didn't love. Maiden Rock is a small town, with all the attractions on the main drag. There's the locally famous Six String Saloon, which maintains it's original interior, has a great view of the Mississippi, and an intense menu, and a few antique stores that have loads of Red Wing pottery, and nicely preserved items purchased from estate sales from the local farm houses.

All in all, it's not the most exciting stop on Highway 35, but it's certainly ON Highway 35.
[IP: logged]

infinityshock
Registered

Re: Maiden Rock, WI

Post by infinityshock » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:01 pm

there is literally no such thing as a native american princess

the term youre looking for is 'squaw'

Helladamnleet
Site Admin

Post by Helladamnleet » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:15 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_princess

No, it isn't. The term I used was acceptable. I'm trying to inform people of small towns near me and add tidbits about them, not spout racism where it isn't warranted.

infinityshock
Registered

Post by infinityshock » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:06 pm

to be a princess one has to be a female daughter of a king. to be a king one has to have a kingdom with territory and submissive vassals.

there is literally nothing on the north american continent that was ever defined as a kingdom nor any redskin whos status or degree of authority granted him the title of 'king'

there is literally no possible way a redskin squaw can be a princess.

you do realize that your cited article weighs heavily on fictional characters used for childrens entertainment, rite?

Helladamnleet
Site Admin

Post by Helladamnleet » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:35 pm

Okay? I didn't misuse the term. The term has been around for centuries, and described the person in question accurately.