Brake lines

Greasy mechanical things. Fixing your car, swapping out engines, buying tools, and getting maximum horsepower.
Enigma
Site Admin

Brake lines

Post by Enigma » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:38 pm

I replaced some failing brake line in my 2003 Lesabre this afternoon, and I'd say I'm getting pretty good at it. I finally broke down and bought my own flaring tool, and feel really good about how they turned out. The pedal is spongy, but that's mostly because I replaced 8 feet of line and didn't bleed them yet, at least I hope. Either way the only thing that I might have fucked up IS the flare, but it looks exactly how a double flare is supposed to look so I'm not too worried.

Now I'm confident enough that my Passat will have new brake lines next spring.
:weed: [IP: logged]

huffraid

Re: Brake lines

Post by huffraid » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:54 am

if you had to re apply the flare tool at all to the flared end to "work it" you may have left a lip on the inside bevel from the flare tool dragging on the interior of the pipe. in the future, that flare may leak if you did not apply a sealant to that lip.

youll notice it as a "ring" on the pipe. the inside of the flare should be super smooth for a good seal

Additionally, you'll want to use a pipe cleaning tool (I forget what it's called but its a little squiggly metal bit on a handle with a sharp edge to carve the end of the pipe, you stick it in and twirl it) to take the sharp lip off from cutting the pipe. That pre-bevel helps keeps it from leaking and interrupting the flow and makes using tools on the end more effective... its a part of "the right way" for all plumbing systems.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:02 am

Hell yeah, I'll keep an eye on it to be sure. Thanks for the tips.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:13 pm

So yeah, I did a one man bleed by:

1) Disconnecting the new lines at the ABS pump
2) Dropping one end into a jar of brake fluid
3) Pumping them until the fluid started to rise
4) Reconnecting

Now I have a nice even pedal and all my stopping power. As a bonus my ABS isn't flipping it's shit over a fully depressed brake pedal and wheel that still move.