Windows Update Error 80072EFE - FIXED - Download Update Link

Windows OS tricks, tips, and annoyances. The latest security holes and how to patch them. Server setup, tuning, and hardening.
Enigma
Site Admin

Windows Update Error 80072EFE - FIXED - Download Update Link

Post by Enigma » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:53 pm

Hi, I ran into the Windows Update problem, Error 80072EFE, that I'm sure many of you have encountered when fresh installing Windows 7 (my version is Professional) or Windows Server 2008. It's an issue that prevents the software from contacting the Microsoft Servers for updates and transfers including activating the Windows Key. I resolved my issue by installing this update and then restarting the computer:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 7883c7a2c5

This is 100% my original idea and not ripped from the Microsoft support forums. If the link dies I have the update ready to host from here.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Windows Update Error 80072EFE - FIXED - Download Update Link

Post by Das Troll » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:11 am

I didn't think that they did updates anymore for win 7 or 8? Unless I'm reading this wrong.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:35 am

They aren't making new updates for Windows 7, but they still offer the updates that were previously available, and there's actually a registry hack that makes Windows Update think you're a POS unit and continue sending updates just like people used to do with Windows XP back in the day.

In any case, hopefully this information helps anyone who may still be running Windows 7, since I guess it's technically fully capable of being ran in 2022. As a matter of fact I currently have it on this laptop I picked up for traveling because Windows 10 simply wouldn't work with the graphics card.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:39 pm

Wasn't that called Windiz or something? Where you could update a pirated version of XP?

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:17 pm

No, WinDiz is for checking the contents of multiple zip files at a time.

I honestly can't recall ever having trouble updating pirated XP. XP was around the time Microsoft decided they'd rather let pirates be secure too.

No, what I'm talking about is an actual registry edit that made Windows Update think you were running a version of Windows XP intended for cash registers and such because Microsoft supported those for longer since it wasn't as simple as just upgrading to Vista/7/8/8.1/whatever was current at the time.