Eventually updating

News about what's happening on this web site and BBS. Please keep posts on topic.
Enigma
Site Admin

alert Eventually updating

Post by Enigma » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:25 am

At some point I'm updating to phpBB 3.3 because it has enough new features to make the jump worth it. Unfortunately, I haven't updated in like 4 version, so it's not as cut and dry as it would have been. The key features are:

- FULL Emoji support
- Built in updating so no more BS with FTP
- New/more secure encryption methods

It also has a new re-captcha that I most likely won't use, since I pay for monthly spam protection, and a few other things, but those 3 are the big ones. Totse will finally be part of the 2010s
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Eventually updating

Post by Das Troll » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:34 am

I don't mind reCaptcha as long as it's not... unfair? I've had captchas that don't make any sense that say click the fire hydrant when there is no fire hydrants and it be ok. I've had others that say click the bus and there is clearly only 1 bus that I click and it says I'm wrong.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:08 pm

A lot of people seem to find Re-Captcha annoying so I've tried to avoid using it, but when the spam bots start getting bad it's hard not to. So far CleanTalk has been doing a good job at keeping the bots to a minimum. I've had ones where it never verifies. Just makes you keep picking things until the end of eternity.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:35 am

Did the update and it mostly worked other than Pages (an official PhpBB extension) causes a 500 internal server error. For the time being we just won't have the pages extension enabled.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:39 am

So I think one way or the other I'm going to end up purging all the plugins. I might just do a database backup and start fresh but I don't know. Will think about it at work today, but for now the forums are online, the image server works, et cetera.