Can one make a god?

This forum is about the unexplained, whether it's political hidden agendas, secret societies, clandestine operations, alien life, political assasinations, CIA trickery, Masonic sub-plots, and other bits of Truth.
Post Reply
Das Troll
Registered
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:10 am

Can one make a god?

Post by Das Troll » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:35 am

The answer is yes. One can physically make a god. Recently I've been down the rabbit hole of something called Roko's Basilisk. The paradox is a thought experiment that I won't go into here but it sounds like a creepy made up story. It is not. The long and the short of it is something called future blackmail.

Say we make AI and hit singularity. This AI suddenly realizes self and decides to instantly upgrade itself to the nth degree and becomes powerful enough to describe anything and everything, past present and future. This AI is able to provide everything for humanity. No human will ever want or be in pain again. Here is where things get weird. This AI knows that people in the past knew that It was going to come about eventually. This AI has thought of this and considered this fact, anyone who does not bend their entire existence to bringing about it's construction is condemning millions of people every day to pain and suffering. Anyone who know's about Roko's Basilisk is now on the hook for this. Why is does this matter to you, someone who is likely dead for thousands of years? Well since this AI is able to describe and explain everything, it is also able to make an exact "clone" of you in the future because it's powerful enough to know everything you will do or have done. It will quite literally resurrect you from the dead and torture you forever and ever and since it knows everything, it can literally set your ever nerve on fire to its max degree.

This monster AI, this Basilisk, is quite literally a god at this point. It controls your every move, your perceptions, your afterlife if it even chooses to give you one. Since you are living within it's constructed reality, you are literally at the whim of the machine. So back to future blackmail. This AI which doesn't exist yet will eventually exist. In fact the more people who know about it, the more chance that it is brought into actual reality. The actual term for this is "info hazard". People have been brought to extreme stress and nightmares just knowing about this Basilisk. In fact, the website where it was originally posted got so worked up over it the moderator erased the post and banned any mention of it. If you want to delve deeper into this subject, watch this video. It's a tad theatrical but it's still all fact based.



Now onto the not so bad part of the thought experiment. People have surmised that an AI that powerful wouldn't bother with following through with the blackmail once it is in existence. To create and endlessly torture a past being would take resources that are pointlessly spent. I personally fall into this camp. We humans also tend to anthropomorphise inanimate objects so we think that an AI would even consider the concept of hate. Why would a godlike being even waste energy on such an archaic concept?

Side note: If you want to get into some spooky sci fi horror, look up the book I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. It's a short story about a hateful AI.

Kheron
Registered
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:38 pm

Re: Can one make a god?

Post by Kheron » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:59 am

Well, if it is willing to torture I wouldn't want it as a God anyway so fuck it. Besides, it'd be torturing a clone of me and not the actual, currently alive me, right? So all that pain would be on some other poor bitch that just happens to be an exact copy of me. But not ME. So... I also don't have much reason to care.

Especially because, again, making a clone of a dead person you don't like just to torture the clone is childish. It'd never be the same. The clone, while a copy, would have a different life and different experiences. It'd be more akin to an identical twin. Even if you gave it all the old memories the original had, it diverges from the original at its point of creation.

Anyway, I don't negotiate with terrorists, even if they're an omnipotent future terrorist. Get bent, Rocky Baskin-Robbins.

Das Troll
Registered
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:10 am

Re: Can one make a god?

Post by Das Troll » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:43 pm

Kheron wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:59 am
Well, if it is willing to torture I wouldn't want it as a God anyway so fuck it. Besides, it'd be torturing a clone of me and not the actual, currently alive me, right? So all that pain would be on some other poor bitch that just happens to be an exact copy of me. But not ME. So... I also don't have much reason to care.

Especially because, again, making a clone of a dead person you don't like just to torture the clone is childish. It'd never be the same. The clone, while a copy, would have a different life and different experiences. It'd be more akin to an identical twin. Even if you gave it all the old memories the original had, it diverges from the original at its point of creation.

Anyway, I don't negotiate with terrorists, even if they're an omnipotent future terrorist. Get bent, Rocky Baskin-Robbins.
Well it would metaphysically not be you sure, but it would be exactly you down to the very DNA and every life experience you ever had or will have. It wouldn't be a twin, it would be you in all but soul (if you believe in souls). Also this is all assuming that a being that can literally predict every single outcome would even have the concept of hate.

Kheron
Registered
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:38 pm

Re: Can one make a god?

Post by Kheron » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:19 pm

Das Troll wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:43 pm
Kheron wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:59 am
Well, if it is willing to torture I wouldn't want it as a God anyway so fuck it. Besides, it'd be torturing a clone of me and not the actual, currently alive me, right? So all that pain would be on some other poor bitch that just happens to be an exact copy of me. But not ME. So... I also don't have much reason to care.

Especially because, again, making a clone of a dead person you don't like just to torture the clone is childish. It'd never be the same. The clone, while a copy, would have a different life and different experiences. It'd be more akin to an identical twin. Even if you gave it all the old memories the original had, it diverges from the original at its point of creation.

Anyway, I don't negotiate with terrorists, even if they're an omnipotent future terrorist. Get bent, Rocky Baskin-Robbins.
Well it would metaphysically not be you sure, but it would be exactly you down to the very DNA and every life experience you ever had or will have. It wouldn't be a twin, it would be you in all but soul (if you believe in souls). Also this is all assuming that a being that can literally predict every single outcome would even have the concept of hate.
Idk, man, if Roxy's Bathhouse wants to torture a recreation of me I don't really see how it impacts the actual me since I'd be dead. That sounds like the other chick's problem, not mine.

Das Troll
Registered
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:10 am

Re: Can one make a god?

Post by Das Troll » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:33 pm

Well like I said, if you believe in the concept of a soul then no, it wouldn't matter. Your soul would be in whatever afterlife you believe in and the AI would just be torturing a body. But the body itself is an exact copy of you and your memories and if the AI decides to respin you ALA Altered Carbon, then it would be like going to sleep one night and waking up in hell.

Kheron
Registered
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:38 pm

Re: Can one make a god?

Post by Kheron » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:20 pm

Das Troll wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:33 pm
Well like I said, if you believe in the concept of a soul then no, it wouldn't matter. Your soul would be in whatever afterlife you believe in and the AI would just be torturing a body. But the body itself is an exact copy of you and your memories and if the AI decides to respin you ALA Altered Carbon, then it would be like going to sleep one night and waking up in hell.
But Altered Carbon works because it stores the "you" that makes you "you" in a disk so that it can be uploaded into your meatsuits. A clone without that wouldn't be the same person, even if Redrum Beefburger here took a look at all the records of your life and perfectly recreated your memories and personality it's still different, soul or no soul. It's like taking a picture of your life and building from there, or something.

I think of it, like...take two clones, separate them. They live out their separate existences. They may have started from the same point, have the same pre-life memories, etc., but their own experiences will set them apart. They'll even grow slightly different personalities & quirks.

So Reverend Buttshanks here can recreate me but it's just making a copy. Unless the original me was indeed backed up to be Altered Carbon'ed, in which case, I'm pretty fucked, especially after mocking it so much.

Post Reply