Gonna be a chilly Winter

This forum is for everything about the outdoors and nature. Post about hiking, gardening, survival, and so on. Feel free to post just about anything that has to do with the great outdoors.
Enigma
Site Admin

Gonna be a chilly Winter

Post by Enigma » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:29 am

I'm calling it now. I mean, it's already 20oF cooler in my region than it usually is this time of year, and we're already 1/4 of the way through August. I'm thinking it will be sub 70s on a daily basis by October, sub 50s by November, and below freezing by Thanksgiving for sure. Will be shocked if we don't see another 20o-F day.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Kheron
Registered

Re: Gonna be a chilly Winter

Post by Kheron » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:43 pm

I hope so. I like it cold.

In general we should be seeing more and more cold ass winters tho as climate change keeps on...changing. With ice caps melting that cool water flows out and cools down the winters or some shit? Been a bit since I read about it so I forget the details. Basically hotter summers, cooler winters. I'm just surprised MN suddenly got so mild the last little bit here

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:45 pm

But, like, we haven't had a hotter summer?

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:44 pm

We personally haven't this year, but the global trend is hotter summers.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:12 pm

I can't even dispute that, as the data backs it up, but it's also less than 1oC increase since 1940, and the scale they use is flawed: https://www.climate.gov/news-features/u ... emperature.

My take-away from that graph is that the temp is going up regardless of what we are doing. It didn't even start going WAY up until the late 70s (well after we started polluting), and some of the worst years for pollution were also some of the chilliest.

Again, I'm not arguing that the world isn't getting hotter, I'm just questioning how much it really has to do with us.

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:48 pm

The biggest issue with climate change is cascading effects. Like, for example, cold/iced over areas that used to reflect the sun are turning black and absorbing it, making the temperature rise quicker and quicker. I think that's from soot specifically. And ice caps cool our oceans which pushes cold water around the globe, so those melting may push more cool water around to make winters chillier for awhile but then they aren't there to cool us as much in the summer and shit, which will make it even harder to cool the planet, and so on.

There's handfuls of irreversible changes that can occur that will dramatically speed things up which is the scary part.

For what it's worth, I hope the experts are wrong, or that it's all exaggerated, because I really don't want to see more shit like roads melting in australia.

http://www.planetexperts.com/greenland- ... vel%20rise.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:01 pm

Again, I'm not necessarily saying it is or isn't happening, I'm just saying that it's such a small amount over such a long period of time, plus we really have no data beyond, what, 140 years ago? For all we know climate has steadily been changing for thousands of years. A lot of the doomsdayesque predictions are based on all of this being a rapid within-the-last-100-years thing, which the data just doesn't support.

I'm no expert, and this is purely my opinion, and I understand the fact things are happening and those things will cause other things, but things have happened since the Earth was born.

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:06 pm

I think it's a bit of both, really. iirc we are in the warming period after an ice age (still), but also manmade stuff like CO2, the ice turning black/melting, cutting down forests and losing them as a carbon trap, us burning holes in the ozone with aerosols (most of the world banned it but fucking China secretly continued while denying it), etc., all likely play a role.

Makes me wanna buy a nice, tropic, beachfront property in the arctic.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:55 pm

*Aerosol containing CFCs.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:49 pm

In about a month or so it's going to be time to grow my winter beard. I ride my bike to work and sometimes it gets so cold that the hair around my mouth freezes.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:38 am

Das Troll wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:49 pm
In about a month or so it's going to be time to grow my winter beard. I ride my bike to work and sometimes it gets so cold that the hair around my mouth freezes.
Ah, yes, icicles hanging from my beard for 6 months. How could I forget.