City foraging

This forum is for everything about the outdoors and nature. Post about hiking, gardening, survival, and so on. Feel free to post just about anything that has to do with the great outdoors.
Das Troll
Registered

City foraging

Post by Das Troll » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:59 pm

I live in a sizable city and I've taken to learning my local flora just in case shit goes down. Today I found a gourd vine that was in an ally behind a bar. The trick is to learn whats in your area and to keep a sharp eye out when you're walking.
gourd.jpeg
gourd.jpeg (242.5 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
Yes you can eat the decorative gourds, the seeds, and even dry them out to use for cups if need be. These aren't too big but they're big enough to be useful. I might even make a small planter out of them.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: City foraging

Post by Enigma » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:25 pm

Gourds don't taste bad either. Squirrel is good in a pinch too.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:48 am

rose hip.jpg
rose hip.jpg (195.67 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
I was walking along a fence line by my apartment and I saw rose hips. Turns out the seeds are hairy and are used in itching powder from what I read. Easy enough to get past, just cut them in half and scoop out the seeds. You can make jellies, soups, jams, ect ect. They taste a bit like cherries or strawberries. Not bad at all.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:04 am

Good multiple tips. I could sabotage someone AND get a tasty snack all in one go.
:weed: [IP: logged]

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:10 am

when is it stealing? i have a similar gourd near my house but it is on somone's porch and looks nice anyways.

where would they be? i am taking a walk soon so ill keep an eye out.
Ту лоцуи ин црима - орас!

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:23 pm

fuckreddit wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:10 am
when is it stealing? i have a similar gourd near my house but it is on somone's porch and looks nice anyways.

where would they be? i am taking a walk soon so ill keep an eye out.
If it's off someones porch it's stealing. Look for creeping vines, they are the ones that have the gourds/gourd like fruit. A lot of times an animal will steal one off someones porch, eat it, then deposit the seeds somewhere and forget about it. I'm nearly sure that's what happened when I found mine. It's likely too late in the year to find any though. Right now you should be looking for black walnuts if you're in a part of the world that has black walnut trees.