Might update the BBS software

News about what's happening on this web site and BBS. Please keep posts on topic.
Enigma
Site Admin

confused Might update the BBS software

Post by Enigma » Wed May 29, 2019 8:51 pm

Haven't really decided yet. Skimmed the change log and a feature that stood out is complete support for styles made for older versions, which means I might be able to adjust the style to look more like OG Totse, plus the further behind in versions I get the more annoying a big upgrade will be in the future.

By all means, weigh in, as it effects the community as a whole.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Might update the BBS software

Post by Das Troll » Wed May 29, 2019 11:50 pm

I like the original look. Anything that looks more like the original the better. To be honest I haven't looked through the rest of the links to the site, but a text file listing would be nice if there isn't one already.

STACKER

Post by STACKER » Thu May 30, 2019 4:31 am

I don't really have much issues with the current look, but don't really mind either. Since I am quite a new user.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu May 30, 2019 6:38 am

^ Yeah, it's not that I have an issue with the look, I just like the OG look a little more, and it might be fun to do a 'generations of Totse BBS' styles with that hideous blue they used around 9/11
Das Troll wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:50 pm
I like the original look. Anything that looks more like the original the better. To be honest I haven't looked through the rest of the links to the site, but a text file listing would be nice if there isn't one already.
There's a complete archive at the link "Old Totse" with all the original text files in their original structure.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu May 30, 2019 6:44 am

So I'm leaning more towards doing it, and am going to think about it throughout the day, but I'd anticipate 10-60 minutes of down time this afternoon.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu May 30, 2019 11:53 am

Helladamnleet wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:38 am
There's a complete archive at the link "Old Totse" with all the original text files in their original structure.
Ahh I had looked at the old forum, it didn't have much there. I assumed that the text file section was the same.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu May 30, 2019 3:23 pm

No, the forum was harder for whoever did the grab to archive because of how vBulletin stores the posts. Unfortunately most of that is lost, which is stupid considering Zok could have taken it over and preserved the database, just like Zok could have handed over the database for Zoklet to a competent administrator. The only way to truly get the posts back would be if Jeff Hunter or Zok released the last database backup, and that's likely never going to happen or even exist anymore.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu May 30, 2019 4:08 pm

All done. You may have noticed I changed a couple things around, and added the bookmarks box, and also as an added benefit to the update the automatic database updater works, so now we SHOULD have 2 updates per day up to a week back.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Fri May 31, 2019 3:27 am

Helladamnleet wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:23 pm
No, the forum was harder for whoever did the grab to archive because of how vBulletin stores the posts. Unfortunately most of that is lost, which is stupid considering Zok could have taken it over and preserved the database, just like Zok could have handed over the database for Zoklet to a competent administrator. The only way to truly get the posts back would be if Jeff Hunter or Zok released the last database backup, and that's likely never going to happen or even exist anymore.
Jeff is long gone. He was long gone before totse even went down. As for Zok? I knew people who knew him but I haven't talked to them in years. Didn't you say he had AIDS? Maybe he's dead.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri May 31, 2019 6:31 am

I was being a little dramatic, he only had HIV, but on the topic of Zok I'm pretty sure someone has spoken to him recently.