Propane torches make great browning

Favorite foods, restaurants, and cooking tips. Booze, legal smokeables, things you put in your mouth. ;)
huffraid

Propane torches make great browning

Post by huffraid » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:42 am

I usually slice some beef roast really thin, marinate it in something slightly acidic and salty.... then use some giant forceps to hold the meat strips while I use a small propane torch for soldering on it over a pan to catch the drips.

you want to play with the distance at full blast for a nice browning without char. It's turns tan and then bubbly with the bubbles a lighter tan color and then those bubble spots BURN so you want to have it bubbly from fat across the surface while keeping it hot but not too hot.

youll see the mailliard browning in a HURRY!

I usually use this on chunks for soup also, its faster and fun! the neighbors dont know what to make of it!

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Propane torches make great browning

Post by Das Troll » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:05 am

They have specific baking torches for this. I've seen them used to brown all sorts of things but they're butane and not propane.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:23 pm

I think that's because you can get food grade butane. This kind of reminds me of when my older brother would cook corn dogs on the gas stove over the open flame.
:weed: [IP: logged]

huffraid

Post by huffraid » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:16 am

food grading of flammable gasses from the ground is not a thing I dont think.

same propane you use for a gas grill and the same butane you use for just about anything. those culinary torches dont have the raw power and are for finnicky tasks like browning creme brules or cheese

my torch is for blasting heat on an area, not metered precise needles of flame.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:24 am

Dude, no, food grade butane is absolutely a thing. A lot of people use it for making wax because the lack of impurities make it suitable for medicinal.

huffraid

Post by huffraid » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:34 am

I did not know that. I guess for "medical" use you do have to clean it more but for burning to make heat its not really necessary I guess.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:16 pm

It has to do with certain impurities found in off the shelf butane. For general purpose it's fine, but inhaling them directly isn't good.