Spring is coming, time for mushroom hunting

Favorite foods, restaurants, and cooking tips. Booze, legal smokeables, things you put in your mouth. ;)
Das Troll
Registered

Spring is coming, time for mushroom hunting

Post by Das Troll » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:16 am

Remember kids, the edible NON psychedelic mushroom is going to be spawning in the forest areas. They are rather hard to find and are easy to identify. Check your state and month to find out when and where they spawn. While they're easy to find, they do have poisonous fakes but they're easy enough to find.

Many cooks like to add these to fancy meals but I grew up in the redneck parts of the country and we just did it like this. They turn out wonderful.

1. Take your mushrooms and split them in half. Often times spiders and bugs like to make homes in the hollows of the mushroom stalks and holes. Shake those suckers out and then soak them in water over night.

2. Once the mushrooms have taken on the water and you've washed the bugs and dirt off, crack some eggs and whisk the shit out of the eggs. set that shit aside.

3. You can either buy seasoned bread crumbs from the store or crush a bunch of crackers up and season the cracker dust. Put this shit in a bowl off to the side. You can also use flour, salt, and pepper.

4. Dunk the mushroom halves in the egg and then drop them in the cracker/flour mix. Make sure it's nice and covered.

5. Get a pan and put some salted butter in it and heat that shit up. Use a lot of butter, don't skimp. Fry those fuckers in butter until the outsides are crispy.

6. Enjoy.
Attachments
morel.jpg
morel.jpg (124.02 KiB) Viewed 6408 times

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Spring is coming, time for mushroom hunting

Post by Enigma » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:26 am

Awesome advice, and you are right, spring is coming soon. I'd say 2-4 more weeks of potential snow then we're in the clear. Hell, if the forecast can be believed the South East Minnesota area will be above freezing consistently within the next 3 weeks. That's 24/7 snow/ice melt.

Can't wait to drive my Passat again :D
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:40 pm

I should have said cut them vertically on number 1. I guess you could cut them horizontally but you'd still have the problem of not being able to see inside the cap for bugs.

Oh and don't be worried if they shrink up real bad. Once you get them cooked they will lose a ton of volume.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:52 pm

I should take the time to get morels this year.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:24 am

It's time. They've came early this year. They're a tad small but you can still find a bunch of them. I'm going hunting this weekend to try and find some.

AngryIVer
Registered

Post by AngryIVer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:24 am

They haven't really popped around here yet surprisingly. I would think within the next few weeks though.
Tell your friends about New Totse. Can't get murdered by police on the internet

murderman143
Registered

Post by murderman143 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:53 pm

let those small ones grow up and be huge,, always cut alot the stock,, vertically to look for bugs and if its a true not a false one . might need to check under leaf litter and logs to find some, believe it or not they can grown from frosty spring to frosty fall,, just gotta catch the right weather, and for the lilac trees to bloom

AngryIVer
Registered

Post by AngryIVer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:26 am

I kind of wouldn't mind growing morrels and shit at home 🤔

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:30 pm

AngryIVer wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:26 am
I kind of wouldn't mind growing morrels and shit at home 🤔
I've never seen anyone who is able to do this consistently. Morels are kind of a mystery on what makes them grow. They're not like shiitake or the like where you know what makes them grow. So far as I know, all the mushroom kits for morels are just junk.

I went out this weekend and found a few. Some small ones and one big one. It's still a tad early to find them out. You need about 40 degree nights and 60 degree days for 3 or 4 days in a row to get a good crop out. I thought I found a massive one but it turned out to just be a false morel. Good luck hunting.

AngryIVer
Registered

Post by AngryIVer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:12 pm

I always assumed they were picky wood lovers. Hmm

murderman143
Registered

Post by murderman143 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:54 pm

very picky , subterranean sac fungi ,, there is more data out there than you think, just not for the exact morchella strain we are common to ,, Chinese mass produce them with fairly good luck, costly to get going like most large scale mushrooms grows, and soil nutrients gots to be replenished seasonally, or some shittt,

AngryIVer
Registered

Post by AngryIVer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:28 am

Minimal research tells me people do it all the time. You can order morrell kits already spored out and ready to go.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:36 pm

AngryIVer wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:28 am
Minimal research tells me people do it all the time. You can order morrell kits already spored out and ready to go.
I know they exist, I just haven't heard anything consistent about it. I went out today and only found 2 of them. I did however find an ass load of a mushroom called the scarlet elf ear.
mushroom.jpg
mushroom.jpg (57.53 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
They taste decent enough. Just like regular grocery store mushrooms.

AngryIVer
Registered

Post by AngryIVer » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:40 am

Das Troll wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:36 pm
AngryIVer wrote:
I know they exist, I just haven't heard anything consistent about it. I went out today and only found 2 of them. I did however find an ass load of a mushroom called the scarlet elf ear.

mushroom.jpg

Yeah, but that seems to be with most strains of mushroom.

Those looks good af.

murderman143
Registered

Post by murderman143 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:22 am

Das Troll wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:36 pm
AngryIVer wrote:

mushroom.jpg

good catch those dry out quite fast,,, i always miss wood ear of my area, "jew ears" i hear they are very good