Historic LIberties Destroyed (Red Wing, MN)

Current events discussion and links to stuff that's happening right now. Who needs CNN when you have totse?
Enigma
Site Admin

Historic LIberties Destroyed (Red Wing, MN)

Post by Enigma » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:33 pm

This evening a driver struck a structural corner on the historic Liberties building in Red Wing, MN causing it to collapse. We say goodbye to one of Red Wing's oldest original buildings. I'm listening to the police scanner feed right now and it's sad as fuck. The owner tried getting past the tape to see his legacy once last time and got denied. I'd for real probably cry.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Historic LIberties Destroyed (Red Wing, MN)

Post by Das Troll » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:15 pm

Drunk?

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:14 am

That's what's being reported. The guy's name was Donovan Plank, I went to school with him. Wouldn't be surprised if he was high as fuck on meth, honestly.

It's real sad. The building is over 140 years old and has been kept in PRISTINE condition up until this. The whole front corner (it's a 5 corner building if that makes sense) collapsed all the way to the roof. The only bizarre thing to me is that you can tell all 3 floors of apartments were empty for some reason.

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:29 am

What a fucking piece of shit. Don't drink/do drugs and drive, how fucking hard of a concept is that? I'm all for rehabilitation of ppl that fuck up but holy shit what an easy thing to NOT do.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:36 pm

I wonder if there's any sort of GoFundme for a restoration. It's not totally lost yet is it?

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:10 pm

It's a total loss. More pieces came down throughout the day so there's no saving it. Granted it was windy as fuck, but someone told me the roof is completely collapsed now.

Absolute fucking tragedy.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:14 am

UPDATE: The owner replied to my comment on Facebook stating his insurance will be covering the complete restoration <3

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:46 pm

Thats good to hear.

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:09 pm

Good! Hope it is a good restoration. I absolutely adore all the old red brick buildings. I think they're gorgeous, and they give towns such a nice feeling.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:54 pm

Red Wing's City of Commerce building used to be a major shithole until it was restored.

I would imagine Historic Building Restoration LLC will do it, and they kick ass at what they do. Just sad that it will never be the "original" ever again.

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:58 pm

Yea :/ Shame. I guess most things tend to get a Ship of Theseus thing going on eventually, though.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:07 pm

I guess we'll see how much demo they have to do first. Some things make sense, like modifying the structure so this doesn't happen again (honestly no amount of force to ONE corner should have caused this), updating electrical (although the apartments look like they were all restored at some point {IE: everything people saw was a facade inside the original}), et cetera.

It gives me anxiety knowing I could be all up in it right now and not a single person would ever notice me there.