The vic20 Maxi

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Das Troll
Registered

The vic20 Maxi

Post by Das Troll » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:06 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiap ... f-the-80s/

Being the lover of old tech that I am I was excited when the C64 mini came out. After seeing many bad reviews about, not to mention the keyboard on it wasn't functioning, I decided to skip it. Then the C64 Maxi came out and I deeply coveted that device. The only real problem is the company that made it is out of Europe and after their initial investors got theirs, they stopped making them for a time. Once they decided to start making them again, covid happened and all manner of fuck ups happened. Fast forward to now and the only place that sells the c64 maxi is Amazon.uk and they wont send it to the states. But they are taking pre-orders for the Vic20 Maxi which is basically the same thing, pretty much all the way down to the emulation and keyboard layout. I think there are some differences in games but that's about it.

Why do I want this new, old piece of shit? Well it was one of the first computers I played with way back when I was a kid. There are also original commodore 64 BBS still out there and still running that you can dial into with the original hardware. Some inventive people have even fabricated a wireless modem that works with the commodore 64. Sadly the C64 and Vic20 Maxis have no way of connecting to the internet, hopefully that will change soon.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: The vic20 Maxi

Post by Enigma » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:20 am

That's funny, a C64 was my first computer. Granted I got mine in 1996, but that's all I had until 2002 or so when my mom finally upgraded and let us take over her Gateway.

The big advantage was the way I got it. My grandma was having an estate sale and my rich ass aunt donated it, so my dad got the C64, like 80 disc based games, 20 cart based games, and an NES with 40 games, two controllers, the NES advantage, and two light guns for, I shit you not, $17.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:48 am

Nice. A full C64 setup now runs about 300 dollars.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:12 pm

I'm still semi-pissed my dad left it behind when we moved. I had the actual C64 screen and everything. Back when it was Chroma/Luma

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:28 pm

i have this ti 99/4a.. the later beige one

its a "home" computer so it doesn't have composite, and I have made myself an adapter for composite but it is too fidgety. I have a jvc pvm/bvm monitor (crt) that would be perfect on an apple ][.

I had the chance to get a 2c, but didnt. i dont even know why lol
Ту лоцуи ин црима - орас!

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:19 pm

Maybe I DO need a house with a basement to keep all my retro shit in 🤔

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:46 am

My c64 maxi just came in the mail yesterday after 3 months of back order waiting. It's quite nice. People just scoff and write it off by saying it's a PI board that emulates VICE but I say different. Sure it's basically that but you gotta remember that OG hardware is old as shit and will likely break or run into serious problems. This maxi has a fully working keyboard and it plugs into HDMI TVs with 64 games at the ready. 120 dollars isn't going to break my back.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:07 am

I don't really get the elitism with some people. Like, Nintendo could release a 1:1 clone of the NES using modern chips and whatnot and get laughed out of the stratosphere simply because it's not literal new old stock from 1983

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:48 am

the people who get hung up on that shit are so annoying

"why cant nintendo open up their old donkey kong factories in seattle and make us those old cabinets?"

like, HDMI is a big deal because if you grew up with a c64 but arent an enthusiast, you probably arent going to have tons of crts and shit lying around

what's so hard about getting your own original c64 if the remake is "an abomination" and "treason to the community"?

and some who fucking gatekeep, saying that normies shouldnt have this shit, oh yeah to enjoy retro computing you need to be a troglodyte with 8 crts and a basement of motherboards?

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:25 pm

Well I can answer why they don't just reopen factories and put out brand new Nintendo's in old form with OG chips, it's because they likely don't have the rights to the games anymore and the machines that made the original chips are far in the past gone. You would have to retool an entire set up just to do it and it's not worth it when you can just put it all on the switch.

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:53 pm

i was being sarcastic but yeah

they wonder dumb shit like : why don't they start making deloreans again?

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:38 pm

fuckreddit wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:53 pm
i was being sarcastic but yeah

they wonder dumb shit like : why don't they start making deloreans again?
funny you should say that

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a ... r-company/

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:41 pm

oh shit!

I think i might have heard about this a few years ago but didnt think much of it

I kinda hate deloreans because they were in back to the future so everyone know about them, so all the 35 year olds in their basement will go steal someones credit card and buy one, then proceed to try and pick up girls

its not a ferrari its a delorean, their not hot their just old and have a cool backstory

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:11 pm

New old stock. Interesting long term investment that paid off big for the guy.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:08 pm

The interesting thing about DeLoreons though is that it brought forward legislation that allows discontinued cars to start being manufactured again without having to conform to modern standards. I believe the only stipulation is that they company has to have been defunct for over 25 years.

As far as gatekeeping, that reminds me of the time my wife's cousin said I'm not allowed to use microwaves because I wasn't born when they were an innovation, like, bitch you weren't born until 30 years after they were invented, fuck outta here.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:37 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:08 pm

As far as gatekeeping, that reminds me of the time my wife's cousin said I'm not allowed to use microwaves because I wasn't born when they were an innovation, like, bitch you weren't born until 30 years after they were invented, fuck outta here.
I'm curious what her logic is for that statement?

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:11 am

Because I "was born in the age OF the microwave not FOR the microwave" like the fuck does that even mean?

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:36 am

what the fuck is the age for the microwave? like there was a time when microwave enthusiasts were rampant?

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:14 pm

Dude, idek. Maybe back when women were objectified and had to stay at home all day cooking and cleaning

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:31 pm

That would make sense but - for? like I just feel like that word doesn't make any sense. There is no time when the world revolves around something other than idk, money.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:53 pm

This was over 10 years ago and I still clearly think about it.

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:57 pm

why do you think it stuck with you?

*therapy vibes*

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:22 am

It just feel like something you'd say to a Russian sleeper cell to activate them. Like, I was a latchkey kid. I know more about a microwave than her tweaker ass ever knew.