If you buy a new video card, check your case size and shape

The Technophiliacs forum is for discussing any and all forms of tech and other types of social backwardness. Including discussions of strange home-brewed hardware technology. Where to get good tools. How to make fiberglass molds. Computer hardware and software technolgy, including operating systems, applications, networking, hardware, CPU's, disk drives, and other geeky things. Viruses and Artificial Life discussions. End user tools discussions and support issues. Gating the Internet with other nets.
Das Troll
Registered

If you buy a new video card, check your case size and shape

Post by Das Troll » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:33 am

Finally pulled that 3080 off ebay and decided to just install it in my current system. Turns out that its 13 inches long and 5 inches wide meaning it was too long to fit without overlapping into the hard drive bay. No problem I thought, I'll just cut a chunk out of the case with my dremel. Being aluminum it wasn't too hard. After that I realized I was going ot have to cut another chunk out of the case because it still wouldn't fit. I broke down and went to buy a new case instead of fucking with it.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: If you buy a new video card, check your case size and shape

Post by Enigma » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:18 am

That reminds me of when Fonaplats was convinced he'd get a beasty video card in his slim line Dell Optiplex and everyone called me a moron for pointing out the case and PSU wouldn't even remotely support it.

I'm pretty sure he ended up cutting up his case to install a shitty 20gb SSD
:weed: [IP: logged]