Got a Genesis and an Everdrive

Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!
Enigma
Site Admin

Got a Genesis and an Everdrive

Post by Enigma » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:51 pm

Pretty much the best shit ever. Right now I'm playing through 'Crusader of Centy' and it's seriously like playing Link to the Past for the first time again. So fucking awesome. And on period correct hardware minus the TV.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Re: Got a Genesis and an Everdrive

Post by Das Troll » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:39 am

I got the genesis mini for kicks. You can hack them and add on all the games you want. The real winner is a raspberry pi for emulation assuming youre not one of those crazies who want everything correct down to the bones.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:31 am

Someone was telling to get this Mister something or other that plays everything basically. Honestly it would be cheaper than tracking down some of the consoles I want.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:34 am

Mister is an expensive solution. There's not much of a point unless you're a control freak. A new pi is enough to do everything you want. There are pi images out there that are hundreds of gigabytes large that have systems and complete game packs that you never even heard of, all the way up to N64 and PS2. You could get one of those set ups for about 300 bucks.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:55 pm

I guess if I'm going to emulate though I might as well just use my PC. I like the actual console for reasons I can't explain.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:57 pm

PC + a Xbox controller is pretty much a gold standard for emulation. You really don't need more than that unless emulation is your hobby. I like OG hardware personally. I'm almost done with my Commodore 64 set up with wireless modem attachment. I'm about to use a 40 year old system to connect to a BBS that's been around since the dark days of the internet. Sure I could do it through my current PC, but what would be the fun in that?

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:35 am

See, that's what I'm saying. Why would I emulate something I can actually acquire for not a lot of money? Sure, it's like $80 all said and done, but that's $80 for the entire Genesis and Master System library just being at my finger tips.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:17 am

Enigma wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:35 am
See, that's what I'm saying. Why would I emulate something I can actually acquire for not a lot of money? Sure, it's like $80 all said and done, but that's $80 for the entire Genesis and Master System library just being at my finger tips.
The playstation mini is roundly considered a piece of shit. But you can literally go on amazon and buy thumb drives filled with PS1 games to plug right into your PS mini. I don't know how its legal, but they do it.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:11 am

See, they looked at the NES and SNES mini and went "Oh, it doesn't really matter what we put on it because people are just going to put roms on it anyway"

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:56 am

Yeah basically. The game list on it could be better, but it's not as shitty as people let on.

https://www.amazon.com/True-Blue-Mini-P ... 125&sr=8-2

I always found it odd that they have names like the crackhead pack or the methhead pack.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:36 am

I mean, the base game list is designed for hype and casuals, so it makes sense. They included FF7, Wild Arms, Oddworld, but missed out on games like Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, et cetera.