DuoLingo

Self improvement through diet, physical and mental exercise, body-building, surgery, chemical introduction, life extension, tattooing, piercing, scarification and smart drugs. Medicine, and other body related topics also belong here.
Enigma
Site Admin

DuoLingo

Post by Enigma » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:35 am

Okay, so I've been pretty skeptical about this app for some time, but finally decided fuck it, for free I can give it a shot, and so far I'm liking it more than I ever liked Rosetta stone, and almost feel like I'm getting more out of it, although that could be because I already did some French using Rosetta stone.

I'm only on day 2, so I don't feel qualified to point out flaws yet, but so far I'm enjoying:

Daily goals besides time limit.
When you make a mistake it will give a few refreshers then have you try what you messed up on right away.
It doesn't penalize you for not using the accents in earlier stages, so you don't end up failing for something stupid like spelling 'garcon' without the accent.
It recognized pretty quick if you picked up on the lesson right away and let's you skip ahead to a more challenging part.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: DuoLingo

Post by Enigma » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:45 am

Day 4:

I've kept with it, and every morning before work I do about a 30-40 minute session, and so far I actually feel like it's paying off way more than Rosetta stone ever did, mainly because with Rosetta stone you get the option to sit there and just guess until it works, where with DuoLingo it tells you you're wrong, why, and moves on until near the end of the lesson when it will re-visit what you screwed up on. The biggest thing I currently struggle with is difference between masculine and feminine food groups, so I'll mess up phrases like "Un garcon mange une pizza". I probably got the right form of 'Une" (Pizza is feminine) but most likely fucked up the form of 'mange' I used.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:58 am

I'm currently learning ASL. I may have to look into this. It has such a stupid sentence and grammar structure though.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:27 am

I've noticed English is the language with stupid grammar and sentence structure. Like, that's what's kicking my ass with French. Little shit like m'appelle being for girls, and s'appelle being for boys. Just seems ass backwards to me

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:37 am

Day 6: I'm still trucking along, and am just about done with Basics 2. It teaches you so subtly that you don't even really realize you've learned anything, but I can actually say a few things now and probably bullshit my way through a greeting and asking if they speak English.

Bonjour! Je m'appelle Enigma. Je suis Americain. Tu parle anglais?

Yukika

Post by Yukika » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:33 pm

salut!!! Je m'appelle Yukika! depuis combien de temps as-tu appris?
ぽよ ଘ(∩^o^)⊃━☆゜

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:02 pm

haha I'm on my first week still :P

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:49 am

Getting a little further along, still not really at a point where I'm super confident, but am getting to a point where I'm struggling less with the basics, which is making learning new words a little easier.

As a side not I'm kind of disappointed because I spent a bunch of Lingots (in game currency) on the 'Flirting' lesson since that's like 25% of the reason I'm even learning French, and it's just balls to the wall hard considering it's apparently a level 1 course.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:32 pm

Language is never fucking easy, ever. You would think that it would be just a sort of one to one comparison, but it never is. They always have different grammar rules and sentence structures. I feel bad for people learning English because of how fucking hard English it.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:58 am

Yeah, it's def one of those things that I'm going to have to figure out a way to immerse myself more. One thing I'm hoping that by learning French I'll be able to pick up the other Romance languages fairly easily.

One cool thing happened though: It started asking me questions in French instead of English.