Outdoors Database?

This forum is for everything about the outdoors and nature. Post about hiking, gardening, survival, and so on. Feel free to post just about anything that has to do with the great outdoors.
Das Troll
Registered

Outdoors Database?

Post by Das Troll » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:15 am

I see all these people building cabins and shit on their plot of woodland and I want that. But I'm also a bonified retard when it comes to building that sort of thing with any sort of skill. I will be trying to put together a database in this thread on all things that will help you in an off grid situation. Books, videos, ideas, ect ect.

First up is material acquisition:

Wood

People toss wood shipping pallets and don't give a fat fucking shit about the. If you're really poor you can pull the nails out and use them as well. They're not the best cut of wood but you can really do wonders with a bunch of pallets. Thing's from building rooms to building hanging gardens. Just search YouTube for pallet building.

Tools

Thrift stores are a wealth of tool material. Look specifically for Craftsman tools as you still (as of now I think) are able to turn them in for new versions of themselves. Hammers, screwdrivers (flathead and phillips) wrenches, ect ect. These are also a great place to start building a blacksmith forge.

That's all for now but I will expand when I'm more sober.

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Outdoors Database?

Post by Enigma » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:04 am

Pallets are a great source of 4x4s which are crucial to construction, and a lot of places will either give them away or pay you to take them.
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:57 am

Books: a good place to go find books is your local army surplus. If I remember correctly, the rangers handbook is for sale in various versions on amazon. Bookstores are going extinct but nothing can beat real paper in a bug out, wilderness situation. If you were hard up you could also check out a bunch of wilderness books from the library and never turn them back in. Another good idea is to learn the flora and fauna of your state. The Audubon Field Guides are a great place to start.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:59 am

Don't forget too that a lot of neighborhoods have those things with free books in them, so depending on the severity of the situation you might be able to get some books that way too.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:29 am

I live in a city where those damn things are everywhere, most of the books are awful nonfiction/fiction books.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:17 am

As someone who has done some jail time: A book is a book

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:35 pm

I guess I hadn't thought of the mental health aspect of living alone off the grid.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:22 pm

Yeah, mental health is a biggie in an off the grid situation because if you get depressed and slack off for a few days, or in some cases even a day, it could be a death sentence. I'm picturing failing to get water, tend crops/livestock one day, being too weak from dehydration the next to anything more than get water, just feeling well enough on day 3, then being fucked because your crops and animals went 4 days without tending.

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:04 pm

Fuck, I 100% want an off-the-grid commune. Sustainable living, yo.

Plus think of all the stuff you could grow, esp when you have dedicated greenhouses/grow rooms if you go thru the trouble/cost of setting them up.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:12 pm

Living off the grid sounds cool and all other than no internet, and if you did manage to get satellite internet, it's not good enough for gaming or piracy. You'd basically have to rely on either satellite TV with DVR, books, and whatever you can pirate when you go into town.

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:07 pm

Eh, I feel like if I lived with a good group of ppl I could go without quick internet. Sat would be fine if that's all that's available.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:40 pm

Yeah idk, I mean, if I had satellite TV at least and a good DVR setup I could go without it I think, but when I need bandwidth I tend to need it right now.

Honestly though, who knows? I remember a time still when nobody had cell phones and only nerds used the internet, so I mean, maybe I'd assimilate out of the "need" for it and be fine with just having bare bones for like email and shit.

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:04 pm

Honestly, I think it might be a bit of a good thing. Like, it'd suck at first, but the internet is so damn addictive. I'll waste hours in bed scrolling, it's so hard to just rip myself away from my phone. I hear a lot of other ppl struggle with it, too. It's just easy dopamine, it fucks with the reward center in your brain.

A less connected, but more involved life might not be so bad. Plus, my god, the internet drama. The toxicity can get insane, ppl are so quick to get pissed off. Trying to find a source to cite for this claim, but I forget where I even found it the first time so I am having trouble. But like, apparently giving in to anger makes you more prone to anger in the future. Makes sense, it's the same concept as ANTs (Automatic Negative Thoughts) and positive affirmations.

Less internet drama would make for a calmer life at the very least lmao

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:54 am

YouTube is another good place. There are a ton of "off the grid" or "build your own cabin" channels. Obviously not something you can take with you, but it's good to prepare.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:59 am

Kheron wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:04 pm
Honestly, I think it might be a bit of a good thing. Like, it'd suck at first, but the internet is so damn addictive. I'll waste hours in bed scrolling, it's so hard to just rip myself away from my phone. I hear a lot of other ppl struggle with it, too. It's just easy dopamine, it fucks with the reward center in your brain.

A less connected, but more involved life might not be so bad. Plus, my god, the internet drama. The toxicity can get insane, ppl are so quick to get pissed off. Trying to find a source to cite for this claim, but I forget where I even found it the first time so I am having trouble. But like, apparently giving in to anger makes you more prone to anger in the future. Makes sense, it's the same concept as ANTs (Automatic Negative Thoughts) and positive affirmations.

Less internet drama would make for a calmer life at the very least lmao
Yeah I don't really buy into that. Like, what's appealing about being called a nigger and to go kys? lol

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:35 am

Lol that's why I think a forceful unplug from internet dramas might actually be good

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:11 am

Yeah, but then where will I call people niggers and tell them to kts?

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:53 am

Enigma wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:11 am
Yeah, but then where will I call people niggers and tell them to kts?
Just have to go back to the old days.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:22 pm

Yeah, the funny thing is the older I get the more I realize being edgy is just being cringey.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:04 am

Soap making from a channel I sub to called City Prepping