Physical crypto wallets

From Bitcoin to Litcoin, from Dogecoin to Coinye, the discussion of crypto belongs in this subsection.
Das Troll
Registered

Physical crypto wallets

Post by Das Troll » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:37 pm

With the rise of crypto and the fall of giant exchanges like Mt. Gox, hardware wallets seem like a smart idea to me. Here is the one I've been looking at.

https://trezor.io/

This one has been around for a long time If I remember correctly. I've been eyeballing it for a bit now and wondering if anyone had any experience with hardware wallets?

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Physical crypto wallets

Post by Enigma » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:12 pm

Seems like a really expensive device for something really simple, no?
:weed: [IP: logged]

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:30 pm

Helladamnleet wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:12 pm
It's not really simple per se. You could just download a wallet onto a hard drive and then take the hard drive out of your computer. The hardware wallet though has a bunch of different security measures on it that keep it from being hacked or keep you from losing your pass key and thus losing all of your assets.

DBDK
Registered

Post by DBDK » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 am

They are neat and pretty useful for some people. I just keep wallets in cold storage when I'm not using them because I am not a millionaire and stuff.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:34 am

Das Troll wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:30 pm
Helladamnleet wrote:
It's not really simple per se. You could just download a wallet onto a hard drive and then take the hard drive out of your computer. The hardware wallet though has a bunch of different security measures on it that keep it from being hacked or keep you from losing your pass key and thus losing all of your assets.
Seems like a pen drive would do the same thing though. Or like a SSD with a password behind it.

fuckreddit
Registered

Post by fuckreddit » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:31 am

how do you use it? like you get to the store and have them scan it or something?
Ту лоцуи ин црима - орас!

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:09 am

Helladamnleet wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:34 am
Das Troll wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:30 pm
Helladamnleet wrote:
Seems like a pen drive would do the same thing though. Or like a SSD with a password behind it.
You can do that sure, people do. I guess it all depends on how paranoid you are. If you scroll down the page a bit

https://trezor.io/#comparison

You can see what security measures are on it.
fuckreddit wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:31 am
how do you use it? like you get to the store and have them scan it or something?
Think of it more like a vault where you store your crypto. You can get crypto wallets on your phone or even a credit card now that will allow you to use crypto at a store.

DBDK
Registered

Post by DBDK » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:46 am

it isn't the same as an SSD or pen drive.

It stores the private key internally, and simply does not have the ability to share it, it just generates public keys when needed. There is no way to put that functionality on a regular storage drive.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:24 am

Huh, I was unaware that it was impossible to put software on a pen drive.

DBDK
Registered

Post by DBDK » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:36 am

Helladamnleet wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:24 am
It is physically possible to read all of the data on an SSD, a hardware wallet is a special device that has the private key stored in a way that makes it physically impossible for any external access to the memory where the private key is stored. There is no way to get the private key of a hardware wallet ever, or at least without doing something really risky and drastic like trying to jump the die.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:39 am

DBDK wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:36 am
Helladamnleet wrote:
It is physically possible to read all of the data on an SSD, a hardware wallet is a special device that has the private key stored in a way that makes it physically impossible for any external access to the memory where the private key is stored. There is no way to get the private key of a hardware wallet ever, or at least without doing something really risky and drastic like trying to jump the die.
Fair enough, but why can't a pen drive be encrypted the same way? About the only thing I'm seeing it really having is the screen and buttons so you don't have to physically plug it into anything, but Android phones have had working USB ports for, like, 4+ years now so the screen almost seems like an additional failure point rather than a neat feature.

Thanks for having this discussion, by the way. I appreciate that you are having a real debate with me instead of telling me I'm retarded and to fuck off because I don't instantly agree with your point of view.

DBDK
Registered

Post by DBDK » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:21 am

Helladamnleet wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:39 am
DBDK wrote:
Helladamnleet wrote:
Fair enough, but why can't a pen drive be encrypted the same way? About the only thing I'm seeing it really having is the screen and buttons so you don't have to physically plug it into anything, but Android phones have had working USB ports for, like, 4+ years now so the screen almost seems like an additional failure point rather than a neat feature.

Thanks for having this discussion, by the way. I appreciate that you are having a real debate with me instead of telling me I'm retarded and to fuck off because I don't instantly agree with your point of view.
You could password encrypt a USB, with the private key seed phrase on it or whatever. I keep mine offline completely in two places, recreate my key from the seed when needed and delete everything afterwards, my way is a little more secure than bothering with a USB key and not much more time consuming. It is the same thing though, someone can get to my private keys on paper, just like someone could get the unencrypted contents of your USB. You get a hardware wallet when you want it completely 100% fucking bullet proof impossible for anyone to ever get that fucking key, it is definitely a step up in security, that is the main reason to get one, not the convenience of having your wallet on a little USB device.

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:41 am

DBDK wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:21 am
Helladamnleet wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:39 am
DBDK wrote:
Helladamnleet wrote:

You could password encrypt a USB, with the private key seed phrase on it or whatever. I keep mine offline completely in two places, recreate my key from the seed when needed and delete everything afterwards, my way is a little more secure than bothering with a USB key and not much more time consuming. It is the same thing though, someone can get to my private keys on paper, just like someone could get the unencrypted contents of your USB. You get a hardware wallet when you want it completely 100% fucking bullet proof impossible for anyone to ever get that fucking key, it is definitely a step up in security, that is the main reason to get one, not the convenience of having your wallet on a little USB device.
I forgot that they give you some long ass key you're supposed to keep track of. Sad thing is because of this bullshit tactic I've probably lost like 3 or 4 bitcoins.

I'd have done a lot more faucets if I'd known this shit would balloon like it did.

kriptopoulin
Registered

Post by kriptopoulin » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:53 pm

fuckreddit wrote:
yes exactely my question are same how do you use ?
I am a crypto trader for the last 5 years.The Moon channel has been extremely helpful in this regard.
If you're looking to invest in crypto,visit The Moon channel to stay ahead of all the latest news on cryptocurrency.
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMoonCar

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:07 am

kriptopoulin wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:53 pm
fuckreddit wrote:
It's just like a wallet you have on your computer. You send crypto to it when it's connected and then you disconnect it. Then you store it in a safe place.

kriptopoulin
Registered

Post by kriptopoulin » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:00 am

Das Troll wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:07 am
kriptopoulin wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:53 pm
fuckreddit wrote:
It's just like a wallet you have on your computer. You send crypto to it when it's connected and then you disconnect it. Then you store it in a safe place.
thanks man you save my time :)
I am a crypto trader for the last 5 years.The Moon channel has been extremely helpful in this regard.
If you're looking to invest in crypto,visit The Moon channel to stay ahead of all the latest news on cryptocurrency.
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMoonCar