Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

This area is for discussing any technology that creates moving pictures. Topics in the past have covered favorite avant garde films, old TV sitcoms, animation, current trash TV, TV news, making movies, home brew video, video equipment, and multimedia.
Enigma
Site Admin

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Post by Enigma » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:53 am

With all the Johnny Depp vs Amber Heard drama I decided to watch the Pirates movies, some again, some for the first time, and for one I was shocked to find out the first one, which I'd seen in theaters, came out TWENTY YEARS AGO, then dismayed to find out Johnny Depp said on the record he'll never reprise his role as Captain Jack Sparrow because of the way Disney handled the situation. I guess even before the accusations came to light he already had a strained relationship with Disney, and the fact they continued to sell the character even after cancelling him didn't sit right.

Anyway: So Pirates I is the introductory film that gives us a little glimpse at our main cast, Captain Jack, Elizabeth Swan, and William Turner, and the events that brought them together in the future films. Captain Jack is an infamous pirate who seems incompetent but has amazing luck, Miss Swan in a governor's daughter who 10 years prior rescued Will Turner after an untold event, and Will is the son of one of Jack's former crew members William "bootstrap" Turner.

After the current crew of the Black Pearl attacks Port Royal in search of a medallion that originally belonged to Boot Strap Bill, but stolen by Miss Swann when they rescued Will, they kidnap her thinking she is related to Boot Strap Bill, and Jack and Will must go rescue her and the Black Pearl respectively.

Without spoiling the plot too much more, I'd say it's not a bad film considering you don't really feel the ~2.5 hours.
:weed: [IP: logged]