What are you all reading currently?

Books, Magazines, and Newpapers. What you read and why you read it. Favorite authors, magazines you read, recommendations for future reading, unusual books and where to purchase them, and sources of strange mail.
Kheron
Registered

What are you all reading currently?

Post by Kheron » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:48 pm

I guess technically not "printed" matter, but I got Eaters of the Dead as my free Audible book for my trial. It's a Michael Crichton book about Ibn Fadlan, an Arab Courtier who we have the journals of irl and his (through his translator) first hand account of the Rus Vikings.

In the book Ibn Fadlan apparently gets wrapped up into the events of Beowulf. It sounds pretty cool and I'm awfully excited, though I do have a rather difficult time starting new books/games/shows/movies unless I have someone to do it with, because I'm fucking lame. Might take me a few days to work up to starting my audiobook.

Anyway, that's what I'm getting into soon. What about you guys? Anything cool you're working on right now, or plan on rather soon?

AngryIVer
Registered

Re: What are you all reading currently?

Post by AngryIVer » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Unfortunately I'm not currently reading anything between work, and now trying to once again give my YouTube channel a jump start. Kind of want to pick up a copy of 'The Stand' since I got out of jail before I finished it, but Amazon shipping is behind right now so I don't want to tie up money on books when I could be getting games to make videos of :(
Tell your friends about New Totse. Can't get murdered by police on the internet

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:19 pm

I've pirated a few ebooks and put them onto my google account lmao. Read 11/22/63 from my phone like that, a time travel story by Stephen King about saving JFK, and I read Cloud Atlas, a really weird book about multiple lives taking place over 6 lives and multiple centuries? You read them 1 - 6 only getting half of the story for the first five, then you go backwards back to 1 getting the 2nd half of each story and learning more how they tie together.

If you pirate ebooks, the epub versions are what I was able to upload. No mobil versions or whatever that format was called. And nothing over like 100mb I guess, I tried to upload Das Kapital to my google account and it wouldn't let me. Still salty about that.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:12 pm

The art of fermentation by sandor ellix katz. I was reading the the gulag archipelago by aleksandr solzhenitsyn but that shit just droned on forever so I put it down. I have a thing for Warhammer 40K audio books so I tend to cut through those like a hot samurai sword through a tub of cheap butter. I have hundreds of books to read in my library so I often forget what I have. It's fun to rediscover shit that I bought while drunk.

AngryIVer
Registered

Post by AngryIVer » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:27 am

Kheron wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:19 pm
I've pirated a few ebooks and put them onto my google account lmao. Read 11/22/63 from my phone like that, a time travel story by Stephen King about saving JFK, and I read Cloud Atlas, a really weird book about multiple lives taking place over 6 lives and multiple centuries? You read them 1 - 6 only getting half of the story for the first five, then you go backwards back to 1 getting the 2nd half of each story and learning more how they tie together.

If you pirate ebooks, the epub versions are what I was able to upload. No mobil versions or whatever that format was called. And nothing over like 100mb I guess, I tried to upload Das Kapital to my google account and it wouldn't let me. Still salty about that.
If you liked to book watch the miniseries. Stephen King miniseries's tend to follow the books very closely.
Tell your friends about New Totse. Can't get murdered by police on the internet

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:26 pm

Das Troll wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:12 pm
The art of fermentation by sandor ellix katz. I was reading the the gulag archipelago by aleksandr solzhenitsyn but that shit just droned on forever so I put it down. I have a thing for Warhammer 40K audio books so I tend to cut through those like a hot samurai sword through a tub of cheap butter. I have hundreds of books to read in my library so I often forget what I have. It's fun to rediscover shit that I bought while drunk.
Oh shit was that the one where Russia sent people to be imprisoned out in the wilderness basically, with no food or even land that was very capable of growing food, and they set up little gangs to control the minuscule rations that were given out, and then everyone started eating each other to survive?

Because that shit is crazy. I watched a youtube video on it. Sucks that book is so shit though, because it's a cool story.

Das Troll
Registered

Post by Das Troll » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:28 pm

Kheron wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:26 pm
Das Troll wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:12 pm
Oh shit was that the one where Russia sent people to be imprisoned out in the wilderness basically, with no food or even land that was very capable of growing food, and they set up little gangs to control the minuscule rations that were given out, and then everyone started eating each other to survive?

Because that shit is crazy. I watched a youtube video on it. Sucks that book is so shit though, because it's a cool story.
No that's Nazinsky Island. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazino_affair The gulag archipelago was about a mans time in the gulags and what went on. It's pretty nuts.

murderman143
Registered

Post by murderman143 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:13 am

1st edition signed hardcover life expectancy by dean koontz :S for the 99th time, cuz reallly mans that good

Kheron
Registered

Post by Kheron » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:35 pm

murderman143 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:13 am
1st edition signed hardcover life expectancy by dean koontz :S for the 99th time, cuz reallly mans that good
I have a beautiful hardcover of Dune w/ colored page edges & artwork on the covers and sleeve. It has a map and a terminology page. I might make that my next read after Eaters of the Dead, I hear Dune is one of the best scifi novels ever written, and apparently Frank Herbert was an educated environmentalist who used his degree to help make a realistic world (and critic environmental politics iirc). I'm a bit turned off by the fact the world is supposed to be all sand though, it sounds like a boring setting.

Vega

Post by Vega » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:51 pm

I've been reading One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey for over 6 months now.

It's not that I'm a slow reader; it's just that I can't get into it. It's a very painful read for me.

I want to finish it though. I will. Almost am.

After that it'll be "Access All Areas" by a man named "Ninjalicious". I can't even remember his real name anymore. Second time I've bought that book. First time about a decade ago the cops took it away before I got around to reading it.

Access All Areas is about urban exploration, something I was into immensely when I was a teenager and a young adult.
:abduction:

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:54 pm

I'm still working my way through 'The Stand'. It's a really long book, and things keep coming up where I only have a couple hours a week to really read.
:weed: [IP: logged]